Jubiläumsgrat

Jubiläumsgrat

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.42065°N / 10.98530°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: AD- and 3-
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fantastic and wonderful classic alpine route. The Jubilaumsgrat is a very long and exposed ridge. Can be handled in one long day, but mostly requires 2 days. You have two direction possibilities - From Zugspitze to Alpspitze (W-E) or other way round (E-W). Both ways are fantastic, version from Zugspitze to Alpspitze is less demanding on securing skill and equipment(in good condtions rope e.g. is not necessary.)
This route isn't difficult during summer conditions, but you should be experienced and well trained alpinist.:) If you hit the route during winter, prepare yourself for real alpine challenge!
View from Mittlere Hollental Spitze to Aussere, Hochblassen and Alpspitze.Jubilaumsgrat

Getting There

You have several possibilities, how and from which side to reach on of the summits.
If you travel by car through Garmich-Partenkirchen, ride to Hammersbach - Alpspitze Bahn. This is a very useful place, where you can park a car and start on your route.

Starting from Zugspitze or Alpspitze summit.

Zugspitze can be reached via Normal route and/or via very interesting route trough Hoellental valley, which is finished by wonderful ferrata. Both variations will consume at least several hours, mostly 1/2 day.

Alpspitze can be easily reached via several Normal routes or via very interesting Ferrata, which can offer great exposure and fantastic views.

If you think about succeeding in one day (valley - Jubilaumsgrat - valley), than is probably necessary to use lift (cablecar) to help yourself with getting up on the top. (Zugspitze summit can be reached by cablecar. If you take Alpspitzebahn /cable car/, add another 15 minutes to reach bottom of Alpspitze Ferrata and another 2 hours to get on the top.)
Descending to Gratthuttl from Hollental SpitzenJubilaumsgrat

Route Description

As mention above, it is important to realize, where do you want to start and finish this route. In my opinion, direction from Zugspitze to Alpitze, with using Hoellental ferrata to get on Zugspitze summit brings more fun.Starting in the Ga-Pa valley on foot and spliting this route into two days i consider as the best. You can stay overnight on Muncher haus (DAV,Zugspitze summit) or if you are very fast, to use Bivak - Gratthuttl, which is situated in 2/3 route from Zugspitze, between Aussere and Mittlere HoellentalSpitzen. Or, if you follow opossite direction, this Bivi can be reached from Alpspitze in less then 3 hours. Anyway, keep in mind, that this is an emergency shelter.
Orientation is quite simple, route is obvious and every difficult part is well secured with fixed ropes or rivets.
Rocky conditions are very differing. There can be found solid rock on some places and towers, but as soon as you climb over it, you can expect disintegrating rock with very tricky surface on its other side..
You can escape from the ridge on several places (see topo)
Gratthuttl - Bivi.Gratthuttl


Essential Gear

Depending on conditions.
During summer should be sunglasses, equipment for Ferrata and lots of water enough. Rope, crampons, ice axe and several chocks and screws are esential in snowy or icy conditions.
Note: You may not find any snow left on the whole ridge during summer months, so if your plans should bring you at the Bivi-Gratthuttl for night, don't forget to be equiped with additional water
Checking map before walk around NF of Hochblassenunder Hochblassen

External Links

Jubilaumsgrat on Bergsteigen.at
Alpspitz Ferrata on Bergsteigen.at
Topography Scheme
Muncher Haus
Tiny boulders en route were quite enjoyable;o)up and down



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ZugspitzeRoutes