Juniper Trees

Juniper Trees

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora, Informational, Scenery

This album is dedicated to beautiful Junipers.

Juniper Trees are coniferous plants in the genus Juniperus of the cypress family Cupressaceae. It is estimated that about 60 species of Junipers are scattered throughout the northern hemisphere.

In the USA, junipers are one of the most widespread plant groups in all of the four desert regions, which include: Great Basin Desert, Mojave Desert, Sonoran Desert and Chihuahuan Desert.
These trees were very important resource to the Native American Indians. Berries were used to prepare foods and drinks. Wood and bark were utilized as building materials for their houses and tools such as bows.
Junipers were also highly prized for their medicinal properties. Tea made out of crushed leaves was believed to relieve body, joint and stomach aches and a sore throat.
The Navajo Indians also used juniper as a relief for postpartum pain, nausea and insect bites.

In Asia, juniper has played a major part in religious practices. Its branches are burnt as an offfering by Bhuddist Monks performing Puja prayer ceremony. Burning juniper and incense represents good luck and purification of the area.
Puja Ceremony is an important part of every Himalayan expedition to ensure a safe and successful climb. In the Everest Region no one from the expedition is allowed to travel through the Khumbu Icefall for fear of angering the gods, until the Puja is performed.

External Links

List of Juniper Species

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
tarol

tarol - Mar 17, 2007 12:39 am - Voted 10/10

I love junipers

Sierra junipers are my favorite, and the prettiest and biggest one I've ever seen is one at the edge of White Chief Canyon near Mineral King in Sequoia National Park. I attached the photo of it to this album. I believe Sierra Juniper are the largest species of juniper in the world.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Mar 17, 2007 4:48 am - Voted 10/10

great page!!!

i love junipers! there is so much soul in a old juniper! my favorite one is on Pine Mountain in the San Gabriels.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 14, 2007 11:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Great album !

Junipers are what I grew up with in northern Utah. Arizona
has Utah junipers and Alligator junipers. Alligator
junipers can grow up to 50' tall. Anya, there's a typo
on your page. "Navaho" should be Navajo. It's the largest
group of native Americans in northern Arizona. The Navajo Nation!

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Dec 15, 2007 2:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great album !

Thanks for your contributions Larry. I have never heard of Alligator Junipers until you posted your picture. Sorry for the typo. I corrected it.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 15, 2007 9:47 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great album !

Not a problem! I was kinda worried about your karma,
but now the great native American spirits will be more
forgiving. Thanks for putting together these albums!!!

Razaq

Razaq - Oct 3, 2009 1:09 am - Hasn't voted

Good Page

Very good page I like this kind of pages.
Also pictures are very lovely.
Razaq

Viewing: 1-6 of 6