Kalak Bala Village

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.12570°N / 51.48560°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike plus Class III at end
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, Class III at end
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See Getting There

Route Description


All distances per my GPS


Place....................Distance (Km)...............Elevation (m)
.
KB Village............Zero..................................2650
Chooren Pass.....6.5....................................3800
KK Lake................4.0....................................3750
Yakhchal...............2.25..................................4194

Total.......................12.75


The first portion of this route is the first part of the standard route for climbing the 4390 m Azad Kooh Peak. From Kalak Bala Village (2650 m), follow a stream-side trail up beautiful grassy slopes to a 3800 m saddle known as Chooren (or Chehel Khaneh) at the southeastern base of the summit of Azad Kooh. Make sure you do not mistake the 3370 m saddle that sits to the west of the Narchoo Peak for the Chooren Pass. (The 3655 m Narchoo is an impressive rocky peak that dominates the view from the lower parts of the trail). You can find good camping spots at the very windy Chooren Pass.

At Chooren Pass, Yakhchal and its nearby peaks will first come into view to the south. Follow the trail traversing the western slopes of Point 3910 m on the upper portions of the Nessen Valley till you reach the long northern ridgeline of Yakhchal. For good camping, continue west a short distance beyond the ridgeline to Kaman Kooh Lake (3750 m)

From the lake, gain the top of the long northern ridgeline of Yakhchal and head south up easy terrain to the base of the summit of Yakhchal (4000 m). Here you will encounter rocky slopes that become increasingly more difficult to climb. Do some class III climbing up the rocky slopes and then traverse to the east (in early season you will encounter steep snow banks here) till you reach a scree slope that you can climb to near the summit. The last part will be Class III climbing.

Essential Gear


In summer, nothing but good hiking boots. In early season (June/early July) an ice axe may come in handy for traversing the snowy slopes but is probably not necessary.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

YakhchalRoutes