Varengeh Rood Village

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.12570°N / 51.48560°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike plus Class III at the end
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up plus Class III at the end
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See "Getting There".

Route Description


All distance are per my GPS


Place..................Distance (Km)...............Elevation (m)

VR Village...........Zero................................2450
Stream Jct..........4.8...................................2650
Shelter................4.0...................................3300
1st Pass.............1.2...................................3525
2nd Pass............2.2...................................3590
KK Lake...............3.2...................................3750
Yakhchal..............2.25................................4194

Total.....................17.65 Km




From Varengeh Rood Village (2450 m) hike a trail that soon crosses to the western/northern banks of the Varengeh Rood River. After 4.8 Km, you will reach a large grassy area where a stream joins the Varengeh Rood River from the left (north) (2650 m). This is the stream that goes in the valley between the Kharsarak and Sorkhab Peaks. You must turn left and follow the trail that goes along the banks of this stream (Beware that if you miss this stream and attempt to go up the second stream that goes between Kharsarak and Sootak the Great Peaks, you will encounter difficult rocky terrain). After 4 Km, you will reach a metal shack (3300 m) built for the wild life protection officers but often used by mountain climbers. You can spend the night in the shack or camp at a nice stream-side spot.

Follow the trail above the camp to a 3525 m saddle between the Kharsarak and Sootak the Small Peaks. Continue on the trail traversing the upper portions of the second stream mentioned above to reach a 3590 m saddle between Sootak the Small and Kaman Kooh Peaks. Another 3.2 Km on the trail will take you to the Kaman Kooh Lake (3750 m)

From the lake, gain the top of the long northern ridgeline of Yakhchal and head south up easy terrain to the base of the summit of Yakhchal (4000 m). Here you will encounter rocky slopes that become increasingly more difficult to climb. Do some class III climbing up the rocky slopes and then traverse to the east (in early season you will encounter steep snow banks here) till you reach a scree slope that you can climb to near the summit. The last part will be Class III climbing.



Essential Gear


In summer, nothing but good hiking boots. In early season (June/early July), an ice axe may come in handy for traversing the snow slopes but is probably not necessary.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

YakhchalRoutes