Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.03800°N / 12.59300°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10131 ft / 3088 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

geographical classification: Eastern Alps > Hohe Tauern > Granatspitze Group > Kendlspitze

this is my hero shot of...the spectacular side of the mountain


Kendlspitze is a quite easy to climb mountain belonging to the Granatspitz Group, a part of the Hohe Tauern just between the groups of Grossglockner and Grossvenediger. It is the southernmost 3000 m-peak of this group and can be seen well from the valleys at Matrei and Kals.
Some parts of the mountains of the area consist of a very special soft form of rock called "Bratschen", german geologic term: "Kalkglimmerschiefer". This consits of only some mm-thick layers of slate rock, so fragile that it can be broken with your hand.
Even the wind can form the mountain. The high slopes at the mountain consist of sand like on a beach.
On the west side of the mountain passes a popular hiking trail to the Sudetendeutsche Huette mountain hut - popular because you can start it at the top of a cablecar - either from Matrei in Osttirol (Goldried-Bahn) or from Kals am Grossglockner (Glocknerblick-Bahn). The marked path crosses the Duerrenfeld-Scharte pass (2823 m). From there the normal route climbs the mountain from the north side. This can be done in 2,5 h ascent as a daytrip from the cablecar station "Blauspitz" from Kals.

To the south from the summit two ridges spread out.
- The SW ridge continues the main ridge of Granatspitze Groupe. This ridge is easy to reach from the hiking trail. It is a popular "plaisir" climb with fixed bolts, UIAA III. Mountain guides from Kals use this ridge to train their clients for the Grossglockner.
- The SE ridge is only a side ridge based on the meadows. But it is a steep and elegant line with many towers, first climbed in 1932 by Rudolf Klose and friends, recommended in the guidebook and rated with UIAA IV+.
Both ridges frame the steep south face, that was in 1981 still unclimbed (I don't have newer sources yet).

The main peak is also called "Vordere Kendlspitze" or as Austrian dialect tends to use the masculin form: "Vorderer Kendlspitz". It is connected to the northern minor summit "Hintere Kendlspitze" by a sharp ridge. The southernmost part of this ridge builds the normal route to the main summit.

An old local name for the mountain, but not common any more, is "Sunzkogl".

Getting There

Getting to Matrei or Kals: please refer to the pages about Muntanitz or Grossglockner

Camping / Accomodation

Kendlspitze from...Sudetendeutsche Huette with Kendlspitze on the right


Camping is possible in the valleys. An official campyard is in Matrei. Matrei and Kals are popular holiday destinations if you want to do hiking or climbing in the summer, so there are many hotels or bed&breakfasts.
If you take the first cablear from Kals, Kendlspitze can be done as a daytrip. But if you want to see more of the area I recommend sleeping at the Sudetendeutsche Huette (2650 m)
(more info on the Muntanitz page)

summit views

looking down from Kendlspitze...Kals and Schober Group
view from Kendlspitze to the...ascent route from Kals-Matreier Toerl
looking down from Kendlspitze...down to Matrei
Muntanitz from Kendlspitzeto Muntanitz

Red Tape

No permits / No fees

When To Climb

Summer from end of June to the end of September


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Granatspitze GroupMountains & Rocks