Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.76246°N / 113.89762°W
Additional Information County: Minidoka
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5079 ft / 1548 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kimama butte is an extinct shield volcano that was formed 87±11 ka.[^1] It was formerly used as a fire lookout by the BLM, from 1937 to at least 1970.[^2][^3] In the present day, butte houses several radio towers, the fire lookout no longer being present.

The area around the Kimama Butte, like much of the Snake River Plain, is characterized by a high desert ecosystem. Visitors may observe a variety of sagebrush, grasses, and hardy desert plants, alongside fauna adapted to this arid environment.

The butte hosts two USGS markers, NU1767 and NU1769.

Getting There

If accessing via car, it is highly advisable to have a high clearance vehicle due to the relatively unmaintained nature of BLM roads. Both access roads have been observed to have severe ruts in them, and low clearance vehicles risk bottoming out on the road.

Northern Approach

Starting on ID-24, turn south onto 600 West Road towards Paul / Burley. Next, turn west onto 1100 North Road (some maps also list it as Kimama Lookout Road). Follow this road for approximately 6.5 miles to reach the peak.

Southern Approach

Starting on ID-24, turn south onto 600 West Road towards Paul / Burley. Next, turn west onto 900 North Road (some maps also list it as Kimama Lookout Road). Follow this road for approximately 4 miles until you reach the end of the road. Now, turn north, heading approximately 0.8 miles to reach the peak.

Route

Northern Approach

Follow 1100 North Road / Kimama Lookout Road to reach the peak. The summit is easily accessed by hikers and mountain bikers alike.

Southern Approach

While I have not attempted this route, based on maps of the area, it is also possible to approach from the southern side of the butte. From mapping data, this approach is significantly steeper than the northern approach. Observing from the summit of the butte indicates that this route may be less traveled as there are fewer ruts in the road. Please leave a comment or request edit access if you attempt this route.

Red Tape

Entrance to BLM land is unrestricted. However, please note that the butte is closely surrounded by privately owned land to the east and south. Be mindful to avoid trespassing on private property.

When to Climb

The Kimama Butte should be easily accessible from late spring to early fall. The ground will likely be consistently too wet or snow covered during winter months to safely attempt to reach the peak unless traveling on foot.

Camping

There are no established camp grounds in the immediate area surrounding the butte.

External Links

Idaho Climbing Guide - Kimama Butte

Sources Referenced

[^1]: https://www.usgs.gov/maps/geologic-map-north-half-lake-walcott-3060-quadrangle-idaho

[^2]: https://firelookout.com/id/kimamabutte.html

[^3]: https://idaholookouts.weebly.com/kimama-butte.html



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Snake River PlainMountains & Rocks