Kitty Hawk

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 52.13370°N / 116.46229°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade 5
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 5
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kitty Hawk - 2008Upper Pitches - Kitty Hawk
In his Waterfall Ice - Ice Climbs in the Canadian Rockies, Joe Josephson describes this climb as "Simply the best David Thompson route, Kitty Hawk is a classic with an ambiance similar to Polar Circus or The Sorcerer." The first ascent in 1980 was mired in a series of minor epics including a name-insiring leader fall on the final pitch of the first attempt, an improvised rescue, several false starts, and finally a successful rope solo and 26 stitches.

This climb forms consistently
year to year but conditions may vary significantly. It is a solid grade 5 climb but this too can vary with the conditions. Be aware of the significant avalanche terrain above this climb.
The Approach - Kitty HawkThe Approach


You can expect challenging climbing in a majestic setting with this Canadian Rockies Gem.

Getting There

Kitty Hawk is situated in the furthest right of the three main gullies on Elliot Peak which is just south of the Cline River Bridge. Park about 4 km south of the bridge in an obvious pull out. The climb is obvious from the road.

Google Map from Icefields Parkway

Google Map from Nordegg
The Approach Pitches - Kitty HawkPitch 1-2

As the route is visible from the highway it is wise to site your desitination prior to starting off. A climber's trail is likely given the popularity of this route. There is a drainage creek to guide your way in the event there is no preset trail. In typical winter conditions you can expect a 60-90 minute hike over moderate terrain to the base of the climb.

Route Description

Pitch 1-2:

The first 90-100 m is low angle ice and snow with steps of ice up to grade 3. Based on your comfort level you may choose to rope up or solo this terrain which will bring you to the base of the steeper ice above.
A Bold Lead - Kitty Hawk - 2008Nearing the top of Pitch 3

Pitch 3:

The next 60 metres of grade 4 ice brings you to the base of the crux pitch. This pitch can form in very thin conditions making this a very delicate and cerebral pitch to lead.

Pitch 4:

The crux pitch involves a steep section of technical mushrooms that leads into a steep and sustained pillar. The pitch ends in a series of steep steps. 50 m.

Pitch 5:

The final pitch of grade 3 ice brings you to the top of the climb and views of stunning but avalanche prone terrain above. 30 m.
Leading Out Pitch 2 - Kitty Hawk 2008Crux Pitch





Descent

There is a pin and bolt station to the climber's right of the top pitch.

The next 2 rappels are off of ice stations that will bring you back to the base of the steep ice.

Downclimb a ways to the final rappel station on the climber's right of the canyon.

Essential Gear

Spindrift Avalanche - Kitty Hawk 2008Spindrift Avalanche on the Descent
A standard ice rack and set of draws. 60 m ropes.

External Links

There are two great websites for ice conditions in the Canadian Rockies:

Gravsports-Ice

and

Live The Vision - Ice Conditions.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.