Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.56182°N / 13.05691°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 4, 2008
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring

Making Plans

One of the most inspirig hikes on skies in the Berchtesgaden Alps, Germany, is the so called "Große Reibn", a real challenge for a weekend in early spring.

Kleine Reibn: Arriving at the StahlhausArriving at Stahlhaus (03-05-2008)
Kleine Reibn, WatzmannblickWatzmann (04-05-2008)


You start at the Stahlhaus, a nice mountain lodge high above the town of Berchtesgaden, climb up to Schneibstein, cross the long white hights of Hagengebirge until you reach the steep climb up to the Funtenseetauern summit where you head down for the Kärlinger Haus, another mountain lodge which gives you a shelter for a night. Next day you cross the Steinerne Meer for the two wonderful downhills at Hochwies and Loferer Seilergraben and you end up in the long and endless Wimbachgries valley, mostly with your skies on your shoulders ....
Kleine ReibnSchneibstein (04-05-2008)

This was the plan ....
Kleine Reibn: Spring is coming ....Krokus at Stahlhaus (04-05-2008)

On the 03. of may 2008 a group of four people started at the parking area of Hinterbrand above Berchtesgaden to reach the Stahlhaus. The Stahlhaus right behind the German / Austrian border can be highly recommended. It is open the whole year and gives a comfortable shelter for those who are looking for skiing adventures around the famous Königsee.
Kleine ReibnFagstein (04-05-2008)



Changing Plans

Kleine ReibnSchneibstein ascent (04-05-2008)

Next morning, clouds where hanging low, as was - in consequence - our mood.

Kleine ReibnTiger encounter (04-05-2008)
Kleine ReibnSchneibstein ascent (04-05-2008)
Kleine ReibnAt Schneibstein summit (04-05-2008)


We started our ascend to the Schneibstein summit (2275 m), a 500 m climb and reached the summit in a sort of whiteout - a very nice start.
Kleine ReibnTigers cute break (04-05-2008)

The next hour we tried to find the right direction to the Hagengebirge – plateau which isn´t that easy with nearly zero visibility.

After three attempts we gave up and returned to the Stahlhaus for a good lunch. While munching a good soup with an impressive Knödel the sky cleared and the sun was shining …. but it was too late for our plan!

So we decided to do the “little brother” of the Große Reibn: it’s the “Kleine Reibn”.
Kleine ReibnSchneibstein ascent (04-05-2008)

We went up to Schneibstein summit a second time,
Kleine Reibn: At the Schneibstein summitDownhill Schneibstein (04-05-2008)

made our way to Windscharte and went down to Seeleinsee, a little frozen lake between Fagstein and Kahlersberg, a beautiful place in summer and wintertimes.

Kleine Reibn: Funtenseetauern from SeeleinseeDownhill Schneibstein (04-05-2008)
Kleine Reibn: Hut at SeeleinseeMountain Rescue hut (04-05-2008)
Kleine Reibn: FagsteinFagstein (04-05-2008


Above the lake there is a little hut of the Berchtesgaden mountain rescue group and there we met Hans, a member of this group who was happy to see some people. He invited us to have a cup of coffee, which meant coffee and beer and some good Schnaps.

Time went by and soon enough we had to leave Hans to continue our route.

We surrounded the Fagstein summit and went down to the Priesberg Alm.
Kleine Reibn: Clouds and sunlightKahlersberg and Funtenseetauern (04-05-2008)

The snow was bad and heavy and with all the beer and Schnaps it was an exhausting job.

Last effort: the ascent to the Stahlhaus, late in the afternoon. Despite the bad weather in the morning we had an enjoyable rounttrip which can be recommended as a very nice days skiing hike.

And one week later I was back for the big brother, the “Große Reibn” ..

But this is another story.




Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Berchtesgaden AlpsTrip Reports