Koblat

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.44180°N / 10.37540°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Go to Oberstdorf as described on the main page. Take the cable car to the second intermediate station (Edmund Probst Haus).

Route Description


  • General data
      - Start altitudes: 1930m
      - Summit altitude: 2280m
      - Prevailing exposition: E
      - Type: 3h on trails
      - Protection: none
  • Effort: 400m gain in elevation
  • Power: 1 - easy
  • Psyche: 1 - easy (a bit exposed on the summit)

    From Edmund Probst Haus take the trail which runs into direction of Koblat and Engeratsgrundsee. It is a level trail along the Koblat Plateau, always to the south of the Daumen Group main Ridge across which Hindelanger Klettersteig runs. There are two emergency escape routes from the ridge, east and west of the eastern Wengenkopf. You will reach Koblatsee and Laufbichlsee from which the western summit route to Grosser Daumen turns of north. It joins the Klettersteig, traverses Gratkopf and heads along a short exposed section to the flat summit of Großer Daumen.

    Alternatively you can head on to Engeratsgrundsee from Laufbichlsee. From there two trails Head up to the Daumen southern ridge where they recombine. They climb steeply upwards to Daumenscharte between Großer and Kleiner Daumen. The final scree scramble leads you up along the Daumen east ridge to the summit. Obviously both routes can be combined to form a loop. I would recommend ascending from Engeratsgrundsee and descending to Laufbichlsee.


    Essential Gear


    Hiking gear is sufficient.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.