Krma valley - via Kredarica

Krma valley - via Kredarica

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.37794°N / 13.83677°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mixed
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Krma valley is one of the longest valley that leads up towards Triglav and as it is not a technically hard climb, it is quite popular also for less experienced climbers/hikers.

From the village Mojstrana head south and you enter to the Triglav National Park. Keep following the signs to Krma valley and you will reach the final parking place at around 950m. Here you pack your stuff and start the hike.

How much time does the entire trip take?
Depending on your condition, traffic jams on the final rocks, snow it might take 12-15 hrs for going up and down. Some people do it within a day but the most popular solutions are either:
- go up to Kredarica hut (Tirglavski dom) at 2515m and climb up to the peak next day and come back or
- climb up entirely to the peak on the fist day,sleep at the hut and then descent to the parking place next day.

The trail
From the parking place follow the path heading south. The trail is well marked all along the way by red signs so you can't miss.
First, you will gain altitude slowly but when you soon enter the forest, you will find some steeper sections. After you leave the forest you will step on a rocky trail which is not very fun but at least you will already have a nice panorama on the valley behind. After 1 - 1,5 hours you get up to a nice plateau.

Following the trail you ascent forward and you reach the second plateau where very probably you will meet with some cows or with big and brown traces that cows had been there :) Gaining more altitude, you will reach the Pragarca hut at 1763m.

From here first go forward then slightly keep right and watch for the sign for Kredarica. You ascent forward and when you get on the top of the rocky section you will see in the distance the small zig-zag path in front of you (a bit to the right) on the other side. That leads up to the Triglavski dom at 2515m. You have a nice view from here on the small Triglav (left) and the Triglav peak (right).

It's marked you reach the peak in 1 hour from the hut but I have never met with anyone who would have done it within 1 hour. Personally me, I was on the peak several times and it is rather 1,5 hours up and 1 hour back. It is mostly because there are many bottlenecks on the rock where you must wait for others who are descending. First, you climb up on the smaller peak and then take the fascinating ridge to the real Triglav peak and enjoy the panorama and your summit chocolate :) The way down to the huose takes around 1 hour and then another 4-5 hours to the parking place.

In the forest, Krma valley

Ascending in the Krma valley

Tenting on the first plateau, Krma valley

Second plateau, Krma valley

Pragarca hut, Krma valley

2 hrs to Triglavski dom

Zig-zag on the right

Triglavski dom

Triglav Summit

On the rocks to small Triglav

Triglav from the small summit

The Triglav ridge

Triglav summit

Descending from the summit (Triglavsi dom in the background)



Getting There

You reach Mojstrana and then head south to the National Park and to Krma valley.
You will find the parking place at around 950m where your hike starts.

Crossing the river to the National Park

Follow the way to Krma valley

Packing at the parking

Route Description

Very easy but long to Triglavski dom. From there you climb on rocks (II) with fixed nails and ropes that make the climb quite easy.
There are 2-3 points where the route is exposed but apart from this there is no technical difficulty in the climb.

Essential Gear

You don't need any special gear for the climb. There are groups who take the via ferrata set but my personal opinion is that is useless.

Still, keep in mind that there were climbers who died on the mountain so treat it seriously. If you have problems in height, or you are not an experienced climber, rather take your via ferrata set and you can decide to use it or not. No mountain close to 3000 meter should be considered an easy walk!

External Links

Kredarica dom (Triglavski hut)

Krma valley trailhead page



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

TriglavRoutes