Krummgampental

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.53356°N / 10.39558°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Getting there by Landeck, coming fom St Moritz ( Switzerland ) or Innsbruck ( Austria ).
The way through the Kaunertal costs 20 € toll, but you have a very high starting point of the tour (2400m) and so its an easy daytrip.



Route Description

The trip begins at the Krummgampental Bus Station and parking place at 2400m.
There the path to the Glockturm begins at the right side of the valley.
You follow the brook witch is on your left side.
The way might be a little bit slippery!
One hour later you reach a boulders field and you see the summit of the Glockturm at the right side.
The easiest way to find the route, straight to the summit.
The way is best signed by stone men and colour marks with the number 43.
Follow the path and climb the rest from the east side of the Glockturm.
Its an easy scrambling but some places are a little bit slippery.
From the summit (3350m) you have a great view to Weißseespitze, Wildspitze and the Oetztal Alps.
Ascent time from parking place to summit including rest 3,5hours and back to the car take 2 hours.

The way via Krummgampental is not very good frequented and so you can enjoy the scenery and the quiet.
Glockturm map
Glockturm

Ski ascent in winter

Glockturm

For Ascent with ski you have two variations, the first is from the park range Riffltal(2350m), the other is from the park range Krummgampental(2400m).
The road is always free, only closed by avalanche danger,
The park ranges are small, but signed and easy to find.

The describtion of this tour is the ascent by Krummgampental and descent through the Riffltal.

You follow the Krummgampenbach (stream) straight to the Glockturm. Then you turn to Northwest or North to the dip between the Glockturm on your left and the Habicht on your right side over the Rifflferner (glacier).
The ascent Route follows the back side from the North east ridge.
Depending on the circumstances and the snow you can reach the summit with ski or you have to build a ski depot at the beginning of the ridge and to climb the last meters.
You will need crampons and an ice axe.
This is easier in winter because the ascent in summer over the direct line from the west is more difficult and not so beautiful, but it´s a variation.

The departure follows the ascent route through the Krummgampental or the Riffltal, for this way down you follow the Rifflglacier to the southern direction and follow the Rifflbach(stream) till you reach the road and the Park Range Riffltal.
When you parked yout car at the park range Krummgampental follow the road up, its about 1 km and 50 m in altitude.

The tour is moderate difficult, the glacier can be crossed without a big danger of crevasses.
The last 100 metres in Altitude are about 35 degrees and not easy when covered with ice.
The ascent via Krummgampenvalley is longer and flatter, so it makes more sense to make the tour in this way.
An early start in the morning is important because the hillsides are in exposed position to the sun and this makes a moderate danger of avalanches.

Time for ascent about 3 hours and the best time is from March to May.
Starting point of the ski route

Essential Gear

There is no gear needed by ascent via Krummgampental in summer.
In winter you need crampons and an ice axe.

Camping

There is a camping ground in Prutz and another one wich is more quiet in Platz, called Camping Kaunertal at the Hotel Weisseespitze
You can also stay at the Gepatschhaus ( 1928m ):
http://www.gepatschhaus.at/
info@gepatschhaus.at
Tel. Hütte +43 (0664) 431 96 34

Maps

Alpenvereinskarte Nr. 30/2 Ötztaler Alpen, Weißkugel 1:25000
Kompass No. 042 Inneres Ötztal 1:25000

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

GlockturmRoutes