Kuffner Pillar on East Summit

Kuffner Pillar on East Summit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.37800°N / 9.95900°E
Additional Information Route Type: Rock/Ice climb
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: III° rock,45-50° ice
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The more suitable is the Diavolezza hut.

Route Description


The Kuffner route on the East summit of Piz Palù lies on the north buttress and is the easiest out the 3 north pillars: Kuffner from E summit, Bumiller from Central summit and Zippert from West summit.

If the conditions of the pillar are good the climb isn't difficult and you enjoy one of the best climb on Bernina Group.

From the Diavolezza hut follow the track to South of normal route on snow/ice fields (huge crevasses) for about 1,5 hours, then turn right to the flat plateau at the base of NE couloir of E summit ( dangerous ice fall ).
Reach the beginning of the rock spur at the more suitable point according to the mountain conditions.
Follow the rocky ridge (verglas) for about 2/3 of the pillar until you reach the last 1/3 of the route on snow/ice ridge 45/50° up to the summit.
For the pillar itself it took about 3,5 hours.
Having summited the East point we reached also the Central Summit by the easy snow ridge between the two summits.
The retour vie the normal route to Diavolezza hut.

Essential Gear


Crampons and ice axe.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Piz PalüRoutes