Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.64985°N / 100.46329°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12132 ft / 3698 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is Coahuila`s second highest mountain and though controversial (the maps show 3710m), I consider it the second highest in the state of Nuevo León due to the actual altitude readings that I have taken. This is a mountain that runs East-West similar to others in the area like La Viga and El Coahuilón, containing pine forests on the northern slopes and high desert scrub on the southern ones; it lies on the eastern edge of the Chihuahuan Desert high plains, most of it is in Coahuila state, it has twin summits one in Coahuila (the highest) and the other (slightly lower) called "El Morro" in Nuevo León state in Rayones. Once this mountain had the most lush Pine - Fir - Aspen forest in northeastern México but a huge wildfire destroyed about half of it a few decades ago, mainly on the eastern and uppermost northern slopes leaving them barren. Though efforts by a few locals are finally seeing some results in the form of a few pine and fir saplings growing from seed it will take many decades for the forest to recuperate due to the heavy erosion that has taken place. This mountain is climbed sporadically by some people but not as often as other peaks in the region mainly because it is far away from the main highway unlike the others. This mountain sees between 3 and 6 snowfalls during the winter, the snow lasts longer on the northern side wich is the one used to climb to the summit, from there one can have nice views of the nearest neighbor El Coahuilón just to the north, Sierra de Monterreal and La Viga to the northwest, the desert plains to the southwest, cerro La Veleta and numerous smaller peaks to the east and cerro El Potosí to the south.

Getting There

You must travel south on highway 57 from the city of Saltillo, Coahuila, once the highway reaches it`s highest poit (about 2200m), there is a highway interchange that signals the exit toward the town of San Antonio de las Alazanas and Bosques de Monterreal resort, follow this narrow highway to the southeast and go past the Bosques de Monterreal resort (about 35 km), further ahead now on a gravel road you`ll pass "Los Oyameles" ranch, stop here if you want to climb the normal route. There is a "Y" split just past los Oyameles, the main road goes left toward "Mesa de las Tablas", take the right one toward the Cabañas Renacer de la Sierra (cabins) and drive another 6 km on this ascending and bumpy road but good enough for regular cars to get through. The direct route trail starts here by the uppermost cabins.

Red Tape

No permits are required to climb this mountain. If you want to leave your vehicle by the cabins office you must ask for permission. On a crowded weekend you may have to park your vehicle by the road.

When To Climb

It can be climbed year round but the best months are November through April, the rest of the year is strom prone and somewhat dangerous.

Camping

There are a few spots to pitch a tent and it is allowed without any fees or permits. There are no huts on the mountain.

Mountain Conditions

You will have to inquire locally for actual conditions.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mountains of CoahuilaMountains & Rocks