Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.01731°N / 122.94278°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2180 ft / 664 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
North from Lakeport Peak
North from Lakeport Peak
This is a small mountain 1.5 mile southwest of the town of Lakeport on the northwest side of Clear Lake in the Mayacamas Mountain Range, a sub-range of Californias' north Coast Range. The nice thing about this little peak is that it is not heavily forested or covered with dense brush like most of the mountains in the area. The easy approach is through the municipal water district property. Although when I hiked it on a Saturday there was no one around. I got the feeling the legal limitations would not be problem enough to restrict the occasional hiker or 2.
This is an open grassy hill with outstanding views of the high county around the northwest end of Clear Lake as well as Mount Konocti. Lakeport Peak is a short hike that can easily be done in a few hours. The route can be extended to include the rolling ridge to the south.
 
This approximately 3 miles and 800' gain round trip. 4.5 miles and 1,200' if you take it the ridge as well.

Getting There

 
Clear Lake and Mt. Konocti
Clear Lake and Mt. Konocti from Lakeport Peak
From Hwy. 29 about a mile south of Lakeport take Hwy. 175 west only about a half block. Immediately turn right on Parallel Drive (frontage road) and go less than 2 tenths mile to Linda Lane. Turn left on Linda Lane and go .5 mile to the locked gate. Park off to the side.

Route

 
Dramatic dead oak with living cattle
Dead oak below Lakeport Peak
Hop the gate and go a short distance to a road on the right going towards the peak, which is visible to the west. Hop that fence and follow the road beyond its' paved section up and around to the left about .7 mile. Here it connects to another 2 track road at a junction. Go right up the obvious southeast ridge as it climbs up and around to the summit.

Red Tape

 
Across Clear Lake to Pine Mtn. from Lakeport peak
Across Clear Lake from Lakeport Peak
As I mentioned in the overview this is a private property approach. It was no problem for me on a Saturday with no one around. You may want to call the Lakeport Water District and ask for permission. It's your call.

Regarding private property hikes: I figure the number of people responding to this page and doing the hike would not be significant enough to cause friction with the authorities that be. Please use discriminative respect.

When to Climb

 
North Clear Lake from Lakeport peak
North Clear Lake from Lakeport Peak
Year around. It can get over 100 degrees in summer. There could be some snow in winter.

Camping

 
Lakeport Peak east view
East from Lakeport Peak
There is camping at Clearlake State Park less than 10 miles southeast of Lakeport by Clear Lake.

Lakeport weather and forecast

 
Red Mountain and Lakeport Peak (below right)
Red Mtn. and Lakeport peak from the south
Click here for current weather and 10 day forecast.