Layton peak loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.09750°N / 111.8508°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy route finding
Sign the Climber's Log

Loop hike to Layton peak summit

Using the Great Western trail on the ascent, and the Kay's Creek Ridge trail on the descent -- a loop summit hike is possible. 

Getting There

See directions to the Fernwood trail head.

Route Description

Use the Great Western trail to ascend to Layton peak. The distance is 6.55 miles one way. The trail is very easy to follow; it is the same route as the Wasatch 100 until you reach Chinscraper. Instead of turning right to continue the Great Western trail south, follow the easy ridge line to the summit. There are great views looking West.

You can then choose to traverse over to Thurston -- which will add 1 mile of traversing. It is then possible to downclimb Thurston to a segment of the Great Western trail, and take GW trail north back to Chinscraper.

Taking the Kay's Creek Ridge trail back down to Fernwood will give you a round trip distance of 12.3 miles.

My GPS registered 10.1 miles for the loop WITHOUT Thurston peak.  Allow eight hours for the summit if you are an average hiker - including time on top to look for mountain goats. The backside of Chinscraper normally has snow until June, making the ascent tricky just in that one spot.

Water, Camping

There is one spring complete with PVC pipes on the ridge route. There is an established campsite complete with an old stove before you reach Chinscraper. There is alot of pine forest area which could also be used as a high altitude campsite, and you will have the whole area to yourself.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.