Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.09657°N / 9.36378°E
Additional Information County: Lombardia
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5614 ft / 1711 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



People who knows Alps normally think that Legnone is the first (Western) summit of Alpi Orobie ... NO, its minor brother Legnoncino (Small Legnone) is more to the West and its woody slopes are the ones that enter in the Como lake.

Even if it is 900 lower than its big brother the Legnoncino looks a smart summit from all the sides, but especially from the opposite (W) side of the lake.
The short and comfortable walk to gain its summit, the wonderful meadows just little below the summit on its N side and the bucolic vicinities make this summit normally well frequented, but not crowded : the road to arrive to the starting point of the hike is a little too narrow for many drivers.
The Val Varrone

Legnone & Legnoncino

Getting There



Though this summit can be climbed along almost all its sides (avoid only the rocky SW side, dangerous and not amusing at all), the normal starting point for the hike is Roccoli Loria, where the road, coming from Dervio along the Val Varrone, ends.

Here you can arrive :
  • on foot - 1100m difference in elevation - from Villatico (N side, an hamlet of Colico
  • by car - SS36 - exit Dervio - follow brown signs for Val Varrone - Introzzo - Tremenico - herefrom, on the left, starts the road to Roccoli Loria - car parking , Refuge, restaurant, a small amazing lake and wonderful meadows ...
    Roccoli Loria

  • Route

    very easy to find and to hike :
    arriving to the car parking (dirt patch) give a look to the left side, you'll see a wide muletrack in the wood.
    Follow it till you get out of the wood in a beautiful place (benches and tables) looking down to the Adda valley and the sorrounding mountains.

    From here follow the mule track till an old small Church, - don't approach it, the terrain is going to slide down.
    Beyond a small rock the mule track becomes a path leading to the last meters on the hike.

    Wonderful panorama :
    - to the S the Como lake with its 2 branches
    - to the W the Alto Lario mountains (Grona - Bregagno and Muncech)
    ... in background something more if the air is clean

    time required - some hours ... you can't get this summit without stopping there at least 1 hour ...

    Accomodations

    no need but the
    Rifugio Roccoli Loria can host you all year long in the weekends


    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Alpi OrobieMountains & Rocks