Living it up in Trinidad and Tobago!

Living it up in Trinidad and Tobago!

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 10.71667°N / 61.25°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 10, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling

Introduction

My beautiful wife Kimberly and I had some free plane tickets that we decided to use in order to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We were thinking that we would go somewhere in the Caribbean. I was thinking of Saba and Sint Maartin, but after Kimberly read about the wildlife in Trinidad and Tobago, she wanted to go there.

Trinidad and Tobago is full of lots of fantastic wildlife and has some great hiking and beaches as well. Both islands are extensions of the Andes Mountain chain so are well endowed with mountains.

It sounded like a great place to celebrate our 20th anniversary so off we went! (Our anniversary was actually in August, but we couldn’t get away then, so we had to wait until December).

Trinidad is the southernmost country in the Caribbean and is just off the coast of Venezuela. The trip was a great adventure and we definitely got off the beaten track from what most tourist do in the Caribbean. It was a very fun and enjoyable trip!

SpeysideThe beach as Speyside which is near the trailhead for Pigeon Peak and Man of War.



December 9: Asa Wright Nature Reserve (Trinidad)

After a long day of travel, we awoke the next morning to head by taxi up to the Asa Wright Bird Sanctuary location in the Northern Range of Trinidad. Even before we started the guided hike (a guide is required for most of the trail) we saw countless birds, an agouti, and a big monitor lizard. We saw several lizards and bats as well.

The guided hike was interesting and we were shown many other birds (hummingbirds, honey creeper, oriole, trush, etc.) and different kinds of plants and flowers (the monkey ladder plants were really neat). There were many small birds, and then some larger ones such as parrots. There was also the biggest ant colony that we had ever seen.

After returning back to the lodge for lunch, there was a big downpour. After lunch, Kim and I hiked to the freshwater pool where there was a large pool and a small waterfall. There were many small frogs around. I took a swim.

Purple HoneycreeperPurple Honey Creeper.


Monitor LizardA big monitor lizard we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve.


BirdOne of the birds we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. Perhaps a kind of tanager?


AgoutiAn Agouti we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. It is kind of a strange creature and about the size of a large rabbit.


BirdYellow Oriole we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve.


FlowerOne of the strange flowers we saw while hiking through the Asa Wright Nature Reserve.


Asa WrightThe Asa Wright Nature Reserve was full of birds, more than I have ever seen in the wild. The purple ones are blue honeycreepers. The black one is a white-lined tanager.


Huge flowerA huge and beautiful flower we saw while hiking through the Asa Wright Nature Reserve.


BirdA green honey creeper we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. This one was a little shy.


Giant Ants NestThis is the gigantic ants nest we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. It is by far the biggest one I have ever seen. It is maybe 10 meters/33 feet long?

December 10: El Cerro del Aripo (Trinidad)

Today we set up to climb El Cerro del Aripo, the highest mountain in the country of Trinidad and Tobago. It sure was an exciting climb! Because the road was in poor condition, we had to walk a ways to the trailhead. It took us a while to find the correct trail, but once on it we made good progress through the rain forest and up to the saddle between Morne Bleu and Cerro Aripo, often while walking through the pouring rain. From here, the route would become much more challenging.

There was no real trail to Cerro Aripo after the saddle, and it was all through really thick rain forest and pouring rain. There were also several steep and significant subpeaks to climb along the way. The route was somewhat marked with the occasional piece of flagging tape on the trees. The steep sections were extremely slippery, especially with the pouring rain. We were also completely covered in mud.

Along the way to the summit we saw many strange plants and flowers. We were also startled by a mountain crab. When the rain briefly would taper off, there were plenty of butterflies and bats as well. I had one huge caterpillar on my shoulder, and only noticed that it had stinging spines after touching it to brush it off.

We reached the summit right at 1 pm. There were no views in the thick rain forest and rain, but it was still really beautiful. Because we were pressed for time, we had a very quick lunch and then descended the mountain.

The climb back was even more slippery than the climb up and we still had to reclimb all the subpeaks, still in the rain. We also got off track a few times in the thick jungle.

We got back to the trailhead and rushed along the road on foot in order to not miss the ridge that was supposed to pick us up. We were a little late, but it wasn't a problem. It sure was a good climb.

WaterfallThe little waterfall at the trailhead for El Cerro Del Aripo. There are actually two waterfalls, so we had to find the right one in order to find the correct trail.


Easy sectionThis is the easy section of the trail to saddle between Morne Bleu and Cerro Aripo. The route will become much more challenging after the saddle.


JungleKim navigating through the jungle on the west ridge of Cerro Aripo. There wasn't a real trail, but we could follow old blazes on the trees and an occasional piece of old flagging tape.


Climbing through the jungleKim on part of the route through the jungle in order to climb Cerro Aripo.


undefined
Blue butterflies such as this are all over Trinidad and Tobago.   We saw several of them on our climb to Cerro Aripo.


Climbing El Cerro del AripoClimbing though the jungle on Cerro Aripo.


Climbing El Cerro del AripoKim on part of the route on El Cerro del Aripo. It was a rugged jungle climb. Cerro Aripo is the highest mountain in the country of Trinidad and Tobago and appears to be seldom climbed.


Thick jungleNavigating the thick jungle in order to climb Cerro Aripo.


All smilesDespite the fact that Kim has been bushwhacking through the jungle and mud while in the pouring rain for the past several hours, she is still smiling.


SummitKim on the summit of Cerro Aripo. It was a challenging climb to get here!


Sliding through the mud!After climbing through the jungle during pouring rain, the steep slopes were so slippery that the only thing you could do was slide down through the flowing mud. Ever see the movie Romancing of the Stone?

December 11: North Coast/Paria Bay (Trinidad)

The original plan was to explore the Guanapo Gorge, but heavy rains but an end to those plans. Instead we decided to hike the North Coast to Paria Bay and Falls since it was thought that it would be safe in the rain.

The ride to the North Coast was longer than the original plan and several parts of the road were washed out. The trail was in mostly good condition, but some sections were washed out or had trees fallen across the path. Because of the heavy rain, there were also several river crossings as well.

The coast, beaches, forest, and waterfalls were really beautiful. There were actually three waterfalls that we found and I took a swim in one pool (though we were already soaked from the rain!).

The walk back was about the same as the walk in, though I got a big thorn caught between my eyebrow and eyelash from a low hanging branch. It stabbed be good and I was lucky that it didn’t get my eye. It left a bruise.

We say several parrots, other birds, butterflies, and bats along the way. It was a beautiful, but longer than expected day, mostly in the pouring rain.

Stream CrossingKim crossing one of the streams along our route to the Paria Bay on the north coast of Trinidad.


Trail!Kim is actually walking on the trail when this photo was shot. That's how hard it had been raining!


Paria BayParia Bay. This was part of our North Coast hike on the island of Trinidad. Most of the time we experienced heavy rain.


WaterfallA waterfall at Paria Bay.


Paria BayKimberly on the beach at Paria Bay, Trinidad.


WaterfallOne of the waterfalls created by the heavy rainfall at Paria Bay.

December 12: Nariva Swamp/Bush Bush (Trinidad)

Today we finally saw some sunshine! It was decided to go to Bush Bush (island) in Nariva Swamp in order to see the wildlife (which was Kim’s primary motivation in choosing Trinidad as a vacation destination.

After getting up very early, we headed for the East Coast and the Nariva Swamp. After arriving at the national park we arranged a boat ride through the mangrove swamp in order to reach Bush Bush. The first thing that was noticed was the mosquitoes, so we really put on the bug juice.

After riding a small motorboat through the mangrove swamps, we arrived at the island and set off to explore. The first things we saw were some gigantic snails and then red howler monkeys. We spent quite a bit of time hiking and looking for more monkeys. We never did see the Capuchins since because of the recent rains they were out in the swamp looking for more snails. I had really wanted to see and Anaconda as well (I still haven't seen one in the wild), but no we didn't see any.

We saw a lot of birdlife and some giant cicadas. We also saw different trees and plants, including the incense tree which has flammable (but good smelling) sap. After exploring the jungle on the island we returned to the water, but since the boat was not ready, Kim and I explored around and saw some more howler monkeys.

On the boat ride back, we also saw a caiman. Once out of the swamp, we headed to a nearby mud volcano to check it out before heading back to Arima. Along the way we stopped at a mud volcano and saw some really big flowers.

That night the bed and breakfast threw us a surprise anniversary party since they knew we were there to celebrate our anniversary even though it was back in August (we celebrated it late this year). They made us a cake, other food, sparkling juice (since they knew we didn't drink alcohol), and played us some music on the steel drums. It was really nice.

Nariva SwampMangroves as seen on the boat ride through Nariva Swamp in order to reach Bush Bush island. Bush Bush has great hiking and is full of wildlife.


Red Howler MonkeyA red howler monkey as seen while hiking on the island of Bush Bush in Nariva Swamp.


Giant snailA giant snail shale on Bush Bush island, Trinidad. These are by far the biggest snails I have seen anywhere in the world.


Red Howler MonkeyA red howler monkey on Bush Bush island, Trinidad. We saw several of these monkeys on this day, but they are fast little buggers, so they are hard to photograph.


ChurchThis is a church near the East Coast of Trinidad. It was a very friendly country and the people really warm and welcoming. The country does have its problems, such as a high crime rate and poverty, even though there is much wealth from oil. The country has a large percentage of Christians, Hindus, and Muslims. One thing that was really neat though is that the different religions seem to get along very well. Here is a photo of the church in east central Trinidad. The Muslims, Hindus, and Christians actually all share the same church building that they built together. They each use the building on different days of the week. I though it was really neat that they do this.


Mud VolcanoOne of the strange mud volcanoes on the east side of Trinidad. This unusual natural formations are prevalent in Eastern and Southern Trinidad and are caused by decaying organics.

December 13: Mount Tabor (Trinidad)

Today we climbed Mount Tabor since it was thought that it would be a good choice with the threat of rain. We caught a ride to the Saint Benedict's Monastery and took a little bit of time to wander around and locate the trail up Mount Tabor. We did find it and climbed up the steep trail past the old fire lookout and through the pine forest. The views were good and we saw several big vulture like birds. We also saw a gigantic grasshopper that was more than 6 inches (15 cms) long.

After reaching a small summit, the trail became less distinct. It actually got more difficult the higher we went. We also ran into a gigantic spider and after that a huge millipede. There were many razor sharp ferns (that would draw blood!)and some of the plants really stung like stinging nettle, but much worse. Thinking the trail would eventually improve, we continued up by bushwhacking. The route became more miserable as we climbed. I lost the camera somewhere in the thick brush and we had to backtrack in order to find it.

We eventually reached the top of the mountain, but couldn’t find the alternate route down, so we set off back the same way. It was a relief to get through all the sharp plants and the stinging ones as well. We had rain on and off, but as soon as we got down it really began to pour.

Mount Tabor was the only climb we did in Trinidad and Tobago that wasn’t that fun. It was fun climbing up to the first peak at the top of the pine forest, but beyond that it wasn’t very pleasant. I don’t think I’d repeat that part of the climb again! Luckily the monastery sold good ice cream!

After the climb and visiting the monastery, we head for the airport for our late evening flight to Tobago.

Climbing Mount TaborThese are the lower and more pleasant slopes of Mount Tabor on Trinidad. It is going to get a lot more difficult higher up!


View from the slopes of Mount TaborView from the slopes of Mount Tabor.


VultureSome kind of huge vulture in the tree on Mount Tabor on Trinidad.


Pleasant ForestThis is the pleasant part of the forest on Mount Tabor. Up higher there is much sharp vegetation and stinging plants.


Huge grasshoperThis is the biggest grasshopper I have ever seen. It was more than 6 inches/15 cms long!


VuturesThere were many of these huge vultures in the trees on Mount Tabor.


ViewsViews from the first sub-summit of Mount Tabor. The views were actually better on the sub-summit than on the real one.


Giant spiderA really big spider across the path on Mount Tabor. It sure was a big one!

December 14: Pigeon Peak/Man of War (Tobago)

Today Kim and I decided to attempt Pigeon Peak and Man of War, two of the highest peaks on Tobago. We were weary of our experience on Mount Tabor the day before, so we weren’t quite as motivated to reach the summits this time, so we didn't get a really early start. In the morning we saw a very large and colorful caterpillar before a leisurely breakfast.

After catching a ride to the saddle between Pigeon Peak and Flagstaff Hill, we located the trail and headed towards the mountain. The trail was a bit overgrown, and we were startled by a huge frog and then a mountain crab. We saw a small snake as well. We made good progress to a big gully and then found the trail up towards the peaks. The “trail” to the saddle between the peaks was extremely steep and slippery. We had to find walking sticks in order to climb it. We also had a tight squeeze through a section of bamboo. Over all though, it was a fun and very exciting climb. It rained a bit as well.

Once we reached the saddle, we set off to climb Pigeon Peak first. Although the route to the peak wasn’t much of a trail, it was easier than the climb up to the saddle. We had to pay close attention to little blazes on the trees and eventually we found ourselves on the summit. There were some peekaboo views of the surrounding coast on both sides of the island.

We returned to the saddle and decided to climb Man of War as well. This route was harder to find than the route to Pigeon Peak. We left a water bottle behind at the saddle retrieved later) in order to mark the route for our return.

We carefully made our way to the summit of Man of War using very faint blazes on the trees. Along the way we passed under a huge fallen log with a very interesting bird’s nest. There was also a huge ants nest as well.

We returned to the saddle after climbing Man of War and were glad that we had left the water bottle behind in order to mark the route. After locating the trail it was a very steep and slippery descent down the mountain. We both took several spills and were very glad to have walking sticks.

After arriving back at the trailhead we walked all the way back to Speyside where we were staying at the Blue Waters Inn. We had a well-deserved dinner before walking on the beach and retiring for the night.

Climbing Pigeon PeakKimberly climbing Pigeon Peak, one of the highest mountains on the island of Tobago. It was a rugged jungle climb.


Friendly caterpillarA big and friendly caterpillar at our hotel in Tobago. It was a really big one, but big caterpillars make big butterflies, of which there are many in Trinidad and Tobago.


Big FrogThis big frog startled us on the way to Pigeon Peak and Man of War. It sounded like something was moving through the grass and then this big frog jumps out!


Approach routeThe approach to the saddle between Pigeon Peak and Man of War. It is going to get really steep just above this.


Mountain CrabA Mountain Crab near the Pigeon Peak/Man of War saddle in Tobago. Before visiting Tinidad and Tobago, I didn't know that big crabs lived in the mountains!


Through the plantsIn order to reach the saddle between Pigeon Peak and Man of War, you must routefind your way through the ferns.


Steep SectionA steep section of the route up to the saddle between Pigeon Peak and Man of War.


Approaching the summitApproaching the summit of Pigeon Peak.


SummitThe summit of Pigeon Peak. The summit is fairly flat, at least considering that the mountain is very steep.


Pirates Bay and CharlottevilleLooking down on Pirates Bay and Charlotteville from near the summit of Pigeon Peak. Because the mountain is covered in thick rainforest, there are only occasional views.


Climbing Man of WarKim climbing Man of War on Tobago.


SummitKim at or near the summit of Man of War.


Bird s nestA birds nest that we saw on our climb of Man of War. It was hanging down from a big log.


Bamboo SqueezeWe had to squeeze through this large patch of bamboo in order to climb Pigeon Peak and Man of War.


Pirates Bay and CharlottevillePirates Bay and Charlotteville as seen from the slopes of Man of War and Pigeon Peak.

December 15: Argyle Falls (Tobago)

This morning we took a boat ride out to Little Tobago where we planned on doing some snorkeling and hiking, but it the ocean was too rough to land. We instead went snorkeling at the reef which was off the coast of the island. It was really wavy though and despite the fact that I took Dramamine, I still got seasick.

After the snorkeling adventure, we headed for Arglye Falls, one of the most spectacular sites in the country. We wanted to climb up to all four waterfalls. The hike to the highest falls has a reputation as being quite difficult, but after our previous hikes the past few days, we actually found it to be quite easy. There were some scrambling sections, but the steepest sections had fixed ropes, so it wasn’t bad, nor was it as slippery as some of our previous hikes.

The waterfalls were wonderful and we spent some time admiring in them and wading in the pools. I swam in the pools, but Kim was happy with just wading in them. It was a very beautiful area and very enjoyable. There were many lizards scurrying around as well.

After spending much time at the pools and falls, we headed back to the trailhead and caught a ride back to Speyside. It was a good day.

Little TobagoLittle Tobago as seen from Speyside. We wanted to hike and climb around Little Tobago, but the ocean was too route to land a small boat.


Argyle FallsCooling off in Argyle Falls, Tobago. There are four waterfalls all together, one on top of the other. This is the lower one.


Scramble SectionA scrambling section at Argyle Falls. The hike to the upper falls is supposedly difficult, but we found it to be quite easy compared to the hikes we did the previous days. There was even a rope fixed on the steep parts.


Lovely KimberlyKimberly, my lovely wife at Argyle Falls.


Argyle FallsOne section of Argyle Falls.


Old RuinsRuins of an old mill near Speyside and at the beginning of the nature trails.


Skin RashWe got a skin rash from bushwhacking through the jungle for several days. It was annoying, but fortunately, this was the only thing at all that went bad from our trip to Trinidad and Tobago.

December 16: Flagstaff Hill/Speyside Nature Trails (Tobago)

Kim wanted a fairly easy hike today, so we headed for Flagstaff Hill. Most of the hike was on a seldom used road, but it was still a really good hike. The views from Flagstaff Hill are probably the best on the entire island since the rainforest has been cleared as it used to be an old lookout.

We also saw several birds and on the return trip saw a wild boa, my first that I’ve seen in the wild! It was a great hike and we walked all the way back to Speyside. We did some more walking on the beach before and then hiked all of the nature trails around the Blue Waters Inn. There were some interesting old ruins and many lizards.

In the late afternoon, it was time to start heading for the airport where we would fly back to Trinidad and then back home.

It was a really great trip.

Interesting TreeAn interesting tree as seen on route to Flagstaff Hill. It looks like a giant fan.


SummitKim enjoying the views from the summit of Flagstaff Hill. Although not the highest peak on Tobago, Flagstaff Hill probably has the best views. This is because the rainforest was cleared from the summit because it has been a lookout for centuries.


Boa ConstrictorWe saw this Boa while hiking Flagstaff Hill. It was the first time I have seen a boa in the wild. It was about 7 feet/2 meters long.


St Giles and Melville IslandsSt Giles and Melville Islands as seen form the summit of Flagstaff Hill.


SpeysideSpeyside and the Blue Waters Inn (left) as seen from the hills above the bay. This is where we stayed the night of December 13 through December 16 and makes a good base for the nearby hikes and climbs.






Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Jow

Jow - Jan 17, 2014 9:10 am - Voted 10/10

Nice

I plan on doing this adventure someday as well. Great wildlife pictures

Scott

Scott - Jan 17, 2014 1:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

It's a great place. I'm sure that you will enjoy your trip when you make it out there!

Cissa

Cissa - Jan 23, 2014 10:51 am - Voted 10/10

Amazing!

Wow! This looks a lot like the mountains we have here in Brazil. Thanks for sharing this adventure in such unusual place.

ferdinandverboom

ferdinandverboom - Jan 24, 2014 7:03 am - Hasn't voted

bird

Nice off the track adventures. Good luck with the next 20 years.
Maybe the bird is a kind of Tangara.

Scott

Scott - Jan 26, 2014 1:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: bird

Thanks. I'll go through some photos of Tangara and see if I can make a match.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
El Cerro del AripoTrip Reports
 
Mount TaborTrip Reports
 
Man of WarTrip Reports
 
Pigeon PeakTrip Reports
 
Flagstaff HillTrip Reports