Viewing: 1-4 of 4
PAROFES

PAROFES - May 15, 2013 6:44 am - Hasn't voted

Great

Place to get some rest and to practice photography indeed Marc!
Huts and campgrounds are important pages, just as mountain and route pages.
;)
I worked in some huts pages recently as I realize that.
Cheers my friend!
Paulo

PS: One question, what's the altitude of the campground?

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - May 15, 2013 9:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great

I have to admit that I did this page with a great deal of trepidation, but thank you for the words of approval and encouragement.
I just added the elevation of the campground, 5800 feet, to the page. I don't know how that little detail got passed me.
Thanks again my friend,
Marc

reboyles

reboyles - Jun 20, 2013 7:53 am - Voted 10/10

Lone Pine

I've stayed at the Lone Pine campground and recommend it to my friends that are planning on doing Whitney. Camping at the portal is a pain since it's in the park and is most often full so Lone Pine is a better choice IMO. Many western movies were shot just outside of the campground with Whitney in the background and if you watch them you'll recognize the area. Yup, the Duke himself was there. (Hey pilgrim. you gonna get on that horse...)

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jun 20, 2013 10:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Lone Pine

Great, your reasons for preferring to stay in Lone Pine Campground are why I wanted to write this page. In addition to the hikers, there is a significant number of rock climbers that frequent this area. My hope is to give those people some options to legally camp instead of just throwing their sleeping bags down on the ground behind every rock.

As far as all the movies that are made with the Whitney group in the background I never get tiered of watching them. Yes, "Hey pilgrim,......" Next time in the area checkout the museum on the old movies made here.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Lone Pine Campground' main page