Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Sep 9, 2009 12:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Sangres

Hey,

"Summiting the Crestones is still something I’d like to do in the future, but as there didn’t appear to be much else to do in the area..."

Huh? Which Sangres were you in? The Sangre's I know and love have more to do than I could complete in a lifetime!

Glady you enjoyed your trip.

Cheers,

Sarah

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Sep 9, 2009 1:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sangres

Yeah, we barely even scratched the surface when it comes to the Sangres, and I'm sure there are many worthwhile mountains there that I'd never have the time to see, even if we lived there. I was just referring to other non-hiking related activities and more touristy things to do. Most of my "mountain" vacations only get the okay if there's shopping and other less "outdoorsy" things for the family to do and see as well.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Sep 10, 2009 12:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Sangres

Rocky Alps,

Hah, funny, my husband complains because "all you ever want to do is hike mountains!?!?!?"

Yeah, after the Sand Dunes and a soak in Joyful Journies hotsprings, I understand that the non-hikers in the family may run out of things to do in the area. Shopping in Westcliffe? Not a chance.

Glad you and your family had fun, though!

Sarah

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Sep 11, 2009 4:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sangres

The Sand Dunes (2+ hours from Westcliffe) and Royal Gorge (1 hour from Westcliffe) were two fun places I was thinking we could visit as well, but since we had already driven around so much on the previous days I could understand why they wanted to skip out on the Westcliffe area and just get to Aspen sooner. I think it's a common dilemma faced by most of the people on this site (balancing climbing with family commitments).

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Sep 9, 2009 1:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice photos

Thanks, glad you liked the photos. If you ever get to the San Juans, I bet you'd love it there. There are several other peaks in the Wilson Group, Chicago Basin, and other places (Storm, Pigeon, & Jagged peaks are some awesome 13ers) that I'd climb in a heartbeat if we lived closer.
I didn't want to offend anyone, because I'll admit that my mountain knowledge is very limited outside of the Wasatch, and I wasn't even really referring to the Sangres themselves. My word choice was poor (I've since edited my summary section), but I was just trying to explain why mountain trips can be difficult when there aren't other things to keep the family occupied. This is the main reason why I haven't done any backpacking trips in the Uintas, Tetons, etc., and why easy access peaks like those in the Wasatch have been easier for me to get to. Since Liz doesn't have any family nearby, I'd feel bad leaving her to climb mountains during the entire short time I get off for vacations. I take her wherever I can, but her bad knees (which will likely require surgery) prevent her from coming on the bigger hikes.

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Sep 10, 2009 5:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice photos

Some great photos in this set! I haven't done much in Colorado and don't know enough about it. The Sneffels climb looks really cool.
What's wrong with her knees? I have had knee pain for 3-4 years. When you say the word "surgery" I shudder. There is nothing that surgery can or should do for "bad knees." I hope you at least have a more specific diagnosis than that before considering the knife.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Sep 11, 2009 4:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice photos

It's definitely hard for the average person to relate if they haven't been to the top of a challenging mountain themselves. I'm no different in that most winters I get out of shape and have to recommit myself in the summer before typical hiking season, but having been out enough I know that the short-lived pain and discomfort are completely worth it. Then again, I've never had any serious joint injuries, so I could understand how hiking might seem less appealing.
Liz basically has no cartilage in her knees, so even after relatively easy hikes (around 5 miles and 2000 feet of elevation gain) her knee joints will sometimes swell to the size of softballs. She's going to try glucosamine/chondroitin supplements and also work on strengthening the muscles around her knees to see if that helps. We haven't consulted any knee specialists yet, but surgery is definitely a last resort that we won't consider until we've exhausted every other possibility.

LouCatozzi

LouCatozzi - Oct 12, 2009 4:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Great photos

I was in Ouray the week before you but only got as far as hiking up to the ridge separating YB from the Blue Lakes Basin. It was a fine day, sitting there and watching people scramble up the Lavender Col route of Sneffels. I will return soon and be in better shape next time!

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Oct 19, 2009 11:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great photos

Ouray is a great mountain town. Next time we go, I think we'll hike into Blue Lakes Basin.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Long-Awaited Return to Colorado' main page