Long to Profanity Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.54400°N / 72.815°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Take VT 108. It becomes Smugglers Notch Road to the Long Trail parking lot on the West side of the road. Additional parking avaialble down a gravel side-road across from the parking area.

 

Route Description

The Long-Profanity trail is a popular route to the summit (Chin). At 4.8 miles round-trip and a vertical gain of 2743' it is a moderate to strenuous hike.

From the trail-head parking area walk south on Route 108 about 50' to a sign identifying the trailhead. After you begin the hike in approximately 50 yards you come to a trail register requesting all hikers sign-in. After you sign-in continue to follow the clearly marked trail.

The Long Trail heads generally north-west gaining 600' in the first half mile. The trail then becomes steeper, and changes from a direct route to a switch-back style route, gaining another 800'.

At approximately 1.2 miles the trail heads northwest. Continue on the Long Trail, past the Hell Brook cutoff that joins from the right (North).

After 1.7 miles and 1900' the Long Trail meets the Taft Lodge cutoff and the Profanity Trail, marked by clear wooden signs.

Take the Profanity Trail (southwest trail to the left) for a high-stepping, slight scramble for .5 miles and a gain of 850'. The route is narrow and can be slick, however never requires anything more than class 2 scrambling.

After you climb the .5 miles the Profanity Trail meets up again with the White Blazed Long Trail. You gain the summit by walking north .2 miles

Be sure to stay on the marked path as you enter an artic-apline region with fragile plants and zealous summit caretakers.

To return to your car descend using the same trail.

Essential Gear

Seasonal Gear as needed - recommend crampons and or snowshoes for winter hiking.

Water Filter, Stove and Sleeping Bag/ Pad if staying overnight on Taft Lodge.

 

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.