Sunset Ridge Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.54400°N / 72.815°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sunset Ridge trail is considered one of the most scenic trails in Vermont, with the amount of time spent above treeline, water crossings and scenic outcroppings it is hard to disagree. Not only is the trail short but you get views of the Champlain Valley very quickly on the route.

Mount Mansfield Panorama



Getting There

The trailhead is located in Underhill State Park on the Northwest side of the mountain.

from I-89N (North of Burlington) take exit VT-15E E ALLEN ST/ GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC HWY for 12 miles. Turn right on River Road follow for 6 miles, River Road will become Pleasant Valley Road. Follow Pleasant Valley Road for 2 miles to obvious parking.

Route Description

From Underhill Center parking follow the gravel road to the Underhill Ranger station. From the Ranger Station follow the CCC road or Eagle Cut trail to trailheads for Sunset Ridge and Laura Cowles trail (marked).

The trails turns left into forest with bridge crossings over many streams. After a short hike you will reach the Cantilever Rock cutoff (0.2 miles to Cantilever Rock from trail). The trail starts switchbacks up the ridge and treeline is reached. Follow the blue blazes to the spine of Mansfield and head north to the Chin (4393ft)

Round Trip Length 6.6 Miles
Gain 2,600ft


Sunset Ridge Panorama

Essential Gear

Water
Wind Proof Layer
Good Shoes/Boots

Underhill State Park

Underhill State Park
PO Box 249
Underhill Center, Vermont 05490

Park Phone: 802-899-3022
Season: Memorial Day - Oct 15

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.