Los Glaciares National Park

Los Glaciares National Park

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 49.27195°S / 73.04406°W
Activities Activities: Mixed
Additional Information Elevation: 3376 ft / 1029 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

PatagoniaThe valley that from El Chalten brings to Chile
Los Glaciares National Park is situated in Argentina, Santa Cruz province, on the border with Chile and near Torres del Paine National Park (situated in Chile). The UNESCO declared in 1981 "World Heritage". Aroud the park you can admire a wonderful scenario of mountains, lakes and woods, including a large portion of the Andes to the west, and the arid Patagonian steppe to the east. For its position, the park is exposed at strong wind and at quickly meteo condition changing. This would be a problem to organize trekking/climbing experience.

Getting There

El chaltenEl chalten
The two logistical center are "El calafate", (for the south side of the park) and El chaltèn (for the north part of the park).

El Calafate is situated near Lago Argentino, the biggest in Argentina and the base for the excursion to admire Perito Moreno Glacier. This village is reaching from Buenos Aires by plane (two times for day,)from Rio Gallegos by bus (Santa Cruz province main city) in 4 hours and half (320 km) and from Bariloche by palen and bus. The village offers many cheap accomodations and agency that organize the excursions to Perito Moreno Glacier (one hour), Torres del Paine National Park (5 hours) and by boat to see other Glaciers situated on the mountain around Lago Argentino (among their the main are Ornelli, Spegazzini and Upssala). El calafate is growing quickly and since 2000 has an airport and anew bus station.

El chalten is reaching from El Clafate in 4 hours through an old road that in 2007 the governement wants to finish to renovate. This small village is situated near Vidma Lake in a valley with strong wind during all season and is borned in 1985 to declare the valley part of Argentinian territory before that Chile could declare part of its state. The village grow quickly for its position near Cerro Torre and Fitz Roy and now offers many accomodations. The paths to admire the two famous mountains start from the village.

Perito Moreno Glacier

Perito MorenoPerito Moreno Glacier
Perito Moreno Glacier is really a thing that you have to see almost one time in your life. This glacier (called Perito Moreno from the expert Moreno that decided the borders between Chile and Argentina at the early of 1900) finish against a mountain cutting it in two parts the argentino Lake. The part in wich is situated the river that brings the water in the lake grows while the other part not. So, generally every 4 years, the difference of water reaching the 25 meters and the pressure break the glacier. So, the water rushing in the second part of the lake and the glacier come back to advance. Every day big pieces of ice fall in the lake creating wawes. There are boat trips for tourist and paths around to admire the glacier.

Camping situated in north side of the park

Fitz RoyFitz Roy
There aren't camping situated in the village. All the campings area are situated on the mountains. One is Agostini camping, situated on the Cerro Torre Belvedere, in Laguna Torre, 4 hours from El chalten. Another is situated in Laguna Capri (one hour and half from the village). The last one is "Camping Poincenot", at only one hour from Laguna Los Tres, from where is possible admire Fitz Roy (called also "Cerro El Chaltèn). You can lend all the camping equipment in the village. At your arrive in El Chalten, the park rangers tell you all the informations for trekking and climbing.

External Links

Cerro TorreCerro torre

Site about El Chalten

Los Glaciares National Park

Aerolineas Argentina


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PatagoniaAreas & Ranges