Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.42757°N / 111.31993°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11136 ft / 3394 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lowry Top is the third highest point in the Wasatch Plateau only a couple miles from North and South Tent Peaks, which are slightly higher. The hike is moderate and can be combined with an ascent of its neighbor, Peak 11110 to the west.

Getting There

From Spring City, take Spring City Canyon Road east for 11.8 miles to Skyline Drive. Go left (north) on Skyline Drive for 2.1 miles at park either at the fork or drive on the unmaintained dirt road (4WD) east an additional 0.6 miles to a large ditch.

Route

Lowry Top Only

From your chosen stopping point, walk east to the hard-to-reach Lowry Top Trailhead. The trail begins on the north side of the bare patch among the trees.

Round-trip Distance: 2.5 miles

Elevation Gain: 500 feet

Loop with Peak 11110

Best starting point is the fork on Skyline Drive. From here, ascend the slope to the northeast to first get to the summit of Peak 11110. Once there, turn to the east and follow the class 2 ridgeline that has no trail to the summit of Lowry Top. Descend to the south from this summit and meet the upper portion of the trail back to the Lowry Top Trailhead.

Round-trip Distance: 3.88 miles

Elevation Gain: 700 feet

Red Tape

No permits or reservations needed. Please practice "Leave No Trace" ethics.

When to Climb

Best times are in the summer and fall due to accessibility. The snow lingers a while on the dirt roads. Winter ascents are possible but would be quite long.

Camping

There are many primitive sites but also a good number of developed campgrounds that are listed on the Wasatch Plateau page.