Lyman Hill - Western Approach

Lyman Hill - Western Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.59469°N / 122.15906°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: YDS Class I/II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

October 2010: Due to the ongoing progress of logging activity on the western slopes of Lyman Hill, local peakbagger Ken Russell has verified an alternate western approach that begins at the same location but involves far-less troublesome bushwhacking and far-more road-walking. See towards the bottom of the page for the Ken Russell variation of this approach.

The western approach for Lyman Hill is quickly becoming the new standard summit approach for the mountain. Although the hiking terrain involved can at times be tedious, the western approach has been gaining favor with local peakbaggers due to the route’s greatly shortened ascent time and distance when compared to its older alternative. The older southeastern approach is 25 miles and typically requires the use of a mountain bike to complete the trip in one day, whereas the newer western approach is only approximately 11-12 miles roundtrip and is quite attainable in one day even without the use of a mountain bike. For hiking purists who try to stray away from the use of mountain biking for summit attempts whenever possible, the western approach for Lyman Hill might be the preferred summit route of choice.
Lyman Hill - Western ApproachSatellite Image Of Western Approach

Getting There

From the intersection of Highway 20 and Highway 9 in the middle of Sedro-Woolley, WA:
1) Drive north on Highway 9 for 6.2 miles.
2) Turn right onto Hathaway Road.
3) Drive along the road for 0.8 miles, until reaching the gate at the beginning of a forest road.
4) There is a small automobile turnout on the side of the road just prior to the gate. Park there.

Route Description

A map, compass, and GPS are each very helpful for this approach, especially considering the various forest roads located on the mountain slopes as well as the hiking through thick forests needed. The western summit approach for Lyman Hill begins at the gate (~460’ elevation) located at the end of Hathaway Road. Within approximately the distance of two city blocks, a branch forest road heads straight (due east) while the main forest road bends to the left (north). Continue following the main forest road. The branch road leads to a different possible variation of this route, which will be mentioned later.
Lyman Hill - Gate On West SideGate At Beginning Of Western Approach

The main forest road continues switchbacking up the lower western slopes of Lyman Hill. At ~1530’ elevation, the main forest road switchbacks uphill to the left (northeast) while a branch forest road continues straight (south). Go straight onto the branch forest road. At ~1700’ elevation, the road splits. Follow the road to the left, which continues uphill (whereas the road to the right heads downhill).
Lyman Hill - Important Forest Road IntersectionAt ~1530' Elevation... Keep Going Straight!

At ~2030’ elevation, the road reaches its highest point before heading downhill. A stream might be heard flowing further along the road. Continue following the road for a short distance further until reaching its abrupt end near a stream at ~2000’ elevation. This completes the first-half, and arguably the easiest half, of the summit ascent.
Lyman Hill - End Of Forest RoadEnd Of Forest Road

After the end of the road, the route requires a hike through thick forests, logging debris, and downed trees and branches. Without any defined trail leading the way, the basic rule is to continue uphill heading east. The most difficult terrain is located between 2000’-2700’ elevation, where fallen (or cut) trees, logs, and branches have littered the forest floor for many years. Much of the terrain above 2700’ elevation is similar, but tends to be more manageable to hike through. Please note the forest ground is soft, and the loose vegetation, dirt, and moss can be slippery during wet weather conditions. Use caution and common sense.
Lyman Hill - Thick Western ForestHiking Through Thick Forest

Depending upon which exact forest path choice is taken, a forest road (north-south trending) will be encountered between 3200’-3400’ elevation. Turn right and follow the road south. At approximately 3650’ elevation, a branch road veers back left (north) while the apparent main forest road continues southward. From that location, one option would be to continue south on the main forest road for a short distance further until an apparent manageable traverse (only ~250’ elevation gain) due east is found, and once the ridgetop is attained (~3900’ elevation) head north uphill along a well-used forest road to the true summit (4280’+ elevation).
Lyman Hill SummitHiking Road North Along Ridgetop To Summit

Another option would be to follow the branch road northward to a section of the ridgetop (~4000’ elevation) located north of the true summit and then hike south uphill to the true summit.

The western approach is approximately 11-12 miles roundtrip (depending on forest ascent choice), with 3820’ elevation gain.

At the request of some peakbaggers, as extra assistance for this route I am including a list of GPS coordinates (in order) of a sample GPS track/route through the thick forested travel between forest roads:
N48 35.813 W122 11.184 (Near Where Forest Road Ends Close To Stream)
N48 35.795 W122 11.162
N48 35.749 W122 10.994
N48 35.724 W122 10.955
N48 35.708 W122 10.731
N48 35.704 W122 10.619
N48 35.649 W122 10.588
N48 35.654 W122 10.272 (Leaving Forest/Join Upper Forest Road)
Again, this is a sample track to be used as a general reference tool only. Different routes might work better for different peakbaggers, especially depending upon route conditions. The forest is not impenetrable, but the thickness of the logging debris and forest debris on the ground is definitely not what most people would enjoy traversing across.

"Ken Russell" Variation Of Western Approach

October 2010: Due to the ongoing progress of logging activity on the western slopes of Lyman Hill, local peakbagger Ken Russell has verified an alternate western approach that begins at the same location but involves far-less troublesome bushwhacking and far-more road-walking. The map he provided (see below) shows the basics of that route variation.
Russell Route"Ken Russell" Variation

Alternate Route Variation

Begin at the gate (~460’ elevation) located at the end of Hathaway Road. Within approximately the distance of two city blocks, a branch forest road heads straight (due east) while the main forest road bends to the left (north). The branch forest road can be followed, first east and then south, until it turns into a virtual labyrinth of ATV trails. Follow ATV trails east until reaching a road at ~1600’ elevation. Turn left (north) at the road and follow it uphill. At the first road intersection (~1700’ elevation), take an abrupt right turn onto the other forest road heading uphill (in a SE direction). Follow that road until its end (~2000’ elevation), the same road-end as mentioned in the standard directions, and then follow the rest of the summit ascent directions from that location.

This alternate variation of the western approach is possibly shorter in distance than the standard route. However, it is also more likely to cause confusion (due to the varied ATV trails) and more likely to have unexpectedly encounters with fast-paced ATVs.

Essential Gear

Trekking poles
Map
Compass
GPS

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Dundeel

Dundeel - Nov 1, 2010 9:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Western Route update

10/29/10 The loggers have made the approach easier by extending the road up to nearly the 3,000 ft level. I've attached a map (Russell Route) that shows the route with only two short bushwhacks.

Redwic

Redwic - Nov 1, 2010 10:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Western Route update

Thanks, Ken. When you had mentioned earlier about experiencing a alternate western approach, I was going to ask you about it. You saved me the questioning!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.