M. Pramaggiore from Meluzzo

M. Pramaggiore from Meluzzo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.36541°N / 12.55325°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble, some UIAA I climbing
Sign the Climber's Log

Rating The Tour (By Hiking Standards)

0. General. From 1163 m to 2479 m, exposition W and NE (summit ascent). Comfortable marked paths (only a few steep sections) to Forcella Pramaggiore, the summit ascent is an easy climb (loose slabs, covered with scree require a lot of attention), UIAA I. Marked to the top.

1. Effort. 1320 m, 4 h.

2. Power. 3 - medium (some pulling up while climbing UIAA I)

3. Psyche. 3 - medium (not very exposed, but a mistake likely fatal)

4. Orientation. 2 - easy (only on summit ascent searching for best passages). The grading system for hiking and scrambling routes is here.

Getting There

See the parent page how to get to Meluzzo (reachable by car).


Show a bigger map

Route Description

Val Postegae
Morning in the beautiful Val Postegae

From Meluzzo, 1163 m, you continue by the main valley, cross the alpine meadow and pass Casera Meluzzo, after which the road starts to cross big sand fields, some kind of Cimoliana's Concordia. Going eastwards you reach the well marked crossroads and continue in the same direction into Val Postegae (No. 362 and 366). The cart-road goes by the creek in the SE direction. On the altitude of some 1280 m the cart-road transforms into an ordinary marked path, which soon starts ascending through the forrest on the northern side of the valley. You quickly gain altitude, then cross a nice water stream (picture left) and continue through the forrest in the eastern direction. Finally the path starts turning NE and you reach the beautiful alpine meadow, where ex Casera Val dell'Inferno stood. Towards the NE Val di Guerra lies and the path No. 362 goes through it on Passo del Mus. But that's not our goal.  

In Val dell Inferno
In Val del'Inferno
Cime Postegae
Cime Postegae

On the meadow we turn sharp right (well marked) and follow the marked path No. 366 towards Monte Pramaggiore. Below the vertical walls of Croda del Sion we comfortably go up the valley, the landscape is very beautiful and when we reach the last larch trees we can all the time enjoy the beautiful panorama towards the west. By a nice grassy ridge we approach the basin below Monte Pramaggiore, where the path goes towards the left and soon ascends Forcella La Sidon. This is the exit of a steep ravine, which comes from the north, and through which also a ferrata comes up. From there only a short crossing of (steep) slopes is needed and we reach Forcella Pramaggiore, 2295 m. This is the key point where finally all approaches from valleys join and only the summit slope is awaiting you.  

M. Pramaggiore from the NE
The summit from the NE

From Forcella Pramaggiore you first follow a short ridge, but when it reaches the summit slopes, the path (still barely seen) turns a bit into the NE slope, away from the main NE ridge. Over slabs, crunchy steep terrain and some easy rocks you do some crossing and also a few turns up (you can follow marks), then you climb a few meters of more solid slabs and continue again towards the left by a similar unpleasant terrain. After some 20 meters marks direct you more directly upwards, the terrain is still loose and steep and you hardly wait to reach the main ridge. There some easy climbing (UIAA I) is needed to overcome rocky steps, but at least you can hold at something. The summit ridge soon brings you to the top.

To descend in Val Cimoliana you need to take the same route as for the ascent or do one of many variants of broader circles towards the north. If extending the tour towards the north, you first need to descend in Val di Suola (on 1840 m) and then return in Val Cimoliana over Passo del Mus, 2063 m, and down into Val di Guerra, or further towards the North over Forcella Fantulina Alta, 2107 m, and Forcella dell'Inferno, 2175 m, into Val di Brica and down, or even further over Forcella Val di Brica, 2088 m, on Prateria di Canpuros, and through Val Binon down to Meluzzo. The last, broadest circle will take you almost 11 hours.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.