Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.3996°S / 44.6629°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8359 ft / 2548 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Maciço das Prateleiras is the gate that who arrives into the region of Itatiaia National Park. The massive mountain is viewed from miles of distance, the blocks have up to 80 mts verticals with many routes to climb and, two trails to the summit with caves, scarps and expose ways. From Agulhas Negras, the highest National Park mountain, you can see the pompous of Prateleiras, the place with more visitors of Itatiaia. From there, the climbers can see a lot of nature monuments, how Paraiba do Sul RIver Valley, Pedra da Mina, Bocaina Range, 3 National Park mountains with more than 2500 mts and, BR-116 route ( Via Dutra ), the joining of the Brazil's biggest cities: Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
Maciço das Prateleiras from...

Getting There

Take the same way to Agulhas Negras but, when arrives at Abrigo Rebouças ( the last shelter ), continue on the principal way to Prateleiras. The end of the principal way is the start point to the mountain. About 30 minutes and arrives at Maciço das Prateleiras base. At base , choose the way to go to the summit : The south track ( easy ) or the north track ( hard ). Good luck!
West wall - Prateleiras

South Trail ( Trilha Sul )

The South Trail is the easiest way to get the summit. This trail turn round the south side of the massif, and passes inside many incased blocks suspended at 2500m of height.

North Trail ( Trilha Norte )

The North trail is the hard way to get the summit but, it's most beautiful than the south way. To get this way, take the left trail passing in front of the massif and, the trailhead is under some big blocks suspended too. Pedra assentada is in the left side of this trail.

Pedra Assentada

Pedra Assentada is a rock formation near the north track. It's very easy to go there, just walk on the right direction and you could sit down under the stone and drink water to refresh your mind!
Hikers resting under Pedra...

Climbing Prateleiras

This section shows the trails to get the summit.