Marinet Là

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.56308°N / 6.84723°E
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.10a (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: TD, F6a+, UIAA VI+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 7
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Marinet Là- Aiguille Large de Mary

 

The Ubaye area, Alpes de Haute Provence, offers an excellent climbing ground with some veritable gems, from the limestone towers located near Barcelonnette, as Chapeau de Gendarme and Pain de Sucre, to the quartzite walls belonging to the Chambeyron Group and lying above the nice hamlet of Maljasset. Aiguille Large de Mary is one of these latter, a beautiful reddish peak located in the upper part of the "Vallon de Mary" and well visible on the left hand side of Aiguille Pierre Andrè. Marinet Là is a magnificent climb on excellent black and orange quartzite running on the North-East face of this quartzite peak, inside an alpin environment with spectacular views over the Marinet Lakes. The route is equipped with spaced bolts.

Marinet Lakes and Chambeyron Group, Ubaye
Marinet Lakes and Chambeyron Group
Aiguille Large Marinet LÃ
Aiguille Large - Marinet Là topo

Getting There

Road approach

 

The main centers in the area are Barcelonnette and Guillestre.

- From Barcelonnette follow the road D902 in the Ubaye Valley towards Saint Paul sur l'Ubaye; getting to Saint Paul, leave the road D902 and follow on the right the road D25 crossing Saint Paul, continuing up the valley and getting to the small hamlet of Maljasset (mt. 1905)- Parking before the village.
- From Guillestre follow the road D902 rising to Col de Var, then descending to Saint Paul sur l'Ubaye; getting to Saint Paul, leave the road D902 and follow on the right the road D25 crossing Saint Paul, continuing up the valley and getting to the small hamlet of Maljasset (mt. 1905)- Parking before the village.

Maljasset ancient church, Ubaye
Maljasset ancient church
Pont de Chatelet, an impressive road bridge in Ubaye Valley
The impressive Chatelet road bridge

 

Walking Approach

From Maljasset cross the river (bridge) and follow in the beginning an unsurfaced route, then the path to Maurin Col, rising to reach a grassy terrace (m. 2045) and going into Mary Valley. At the "upper shepherd's hut" leave the main trail and go towards right, crossing the river; a good path rises towards the Marinet Lakes. A few minutes before reaching the lakes, leave the main path and take a track on the right, rising amongst rocky blocks and stones and leading below the Aiguille de Mary East face (2 hours from Maljasset). Little cairn at the bottom of the route.

Ruins of an ancient alp in Mary Valley
Ruins of an ancient alp along the approach
Watching to the Ubaye-Piedmont border
Approaching

 

Marinet Là report

***Marinet Là report (French Scale)
Summit altitude: 2830 m
Difficulty: TD, F6a+, 6a obbl.
Equipment: spaced bolts
Lenght: 220 m.
Exposure: NE
First ascent: Jean Pierre Chevalier - Gerard Fiaschi 1996

A stunning climb on beautiful black and orange quartzite. Not to be missed!

 

Route Marinet Là, the black wall
Start of the Black Wall
Black wall on Marinet Là, Aiguille Large de Mary
In the middle of the Black wall

L1 – A short slab (4b), then a vertical orange groove to a belay on a big flake (5b) 40 mt.
L2 – Climb a slab towards right (5b), then directly along a beautiful vertical wall (6a, sustained) to a belay below a chimney, 35 mt.
L3 – Some short slabs lead to an orange overhanging corner; climb it until its end (5c), then a pillar to a belay, 30 mt.

Aiguille Large Marinet LÃ
Marinet Là
Bivy stone walls on the summit of Aiguille Large
Bivy stone walls on the summit

 

L4 - Follow a crack on the left, then some slabs and at last a spectacular ridge (5c), 30 mt.
L5 – Towards right to a big detached pillar (5b), then along an exposed black and grey vertical wall with magnificent climbing (5c, sustained), 30 mt.
L6 – Rise along a compact beautiful wall with superb climb (5c, 6a+), 40 mt.
L7 – An easy climb to the final ridge; a short scramble towards right leads to the summit.

Belay on the summit crest and Marinet Lakes
Belay on the summit crest and Marinet Lakes

Descent: an easy walk leads to Col Large. From here follow on the left the trail going down along the valley to reach the Marinet Lakes.

Essential Gear

Ropes, ten express, some friends may be useful to integrate.

Climbing grades

Rock Climbing Rating Systems
 
French YDS UIAA French YDS (USA) UIAA French YDS UIAA
 
1 5.2 I 6b 5.10c VII- 7c+ 5.12d IX
2 5.3 II 6b+ 5.10d VII 8a 5.13a/5.13b IX+/X-
3 5.4 III 6c 5.11a VII+ 8a+ 5.13c X-
4 5.5 IV 6c+ 5.11b VII+/VIII- 8b 5.13d X
5a 5.6 V- 7a 5.11c VIII- 8b+ 5.14a X+
5b 5.7 V/V+ 7a+ 5.11d VIII 8c 5.14b X+/XI-
5c 5.8 VI- 7b 5.12a VIII+ 8c+ 5.14c XI-
6a 5.9 VI/VI+ 7b+ 5.12b VIII+/IX- 9a 5.14d XI
6a+ 5.10a/5.10b VI+/VII- 7c 5.12c IX- 9a+ 5.15a XI+

 

Red Tape

There are no particular restrictions in climbing and hiking. Cars in Maljasset village are not allowed. You must leave the car in the parking before entering the village.

When to climb

Best months are June, July, August and September.

Meteo

Aiguille Large de Mary map

METEO FRANCE
METEO ALPI

Huts

Maljasset Hut
Refuge Maljasset

Refuge CAF Maljasset (French Alpin Club) in Maljasset - always open REFUGE CAF MALJASSET

Guidebooks and maps

Ubaye Guidebook
Escalade Alpes du Sud

"La grimpe en Ubaye" by Colin Michel CAF

"Alpes du Sud, Provence" by Hervè Galley, Editions Olizane



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.