Mengusovská dolina-Tatranská Magistrála

Mengusovská dolina-Tatranská Magistrála

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.09100°N / 20.06100°E
Additional Information Route Type: hike/climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


There are many places you can start from. The main two are Strbské pleso (1355m), and Popradské pleso (1494m). But you can only get to Popradské pleso on foot and it's not so far from Strbské pleso to make it a two days programme...
You can get to Strtbské pleso and to Popradské pleso by train from Poprad or from most of the main villages of the High Tatras as you can see it in the main text.

Route Description


From Strbské pleso two possible routes go to Popradské pleso. The green marked trail and the red marked one. They are nearly at the same lenght! The red mark takes about 50 minutes-1 hour, the green is a bit longer it takes 1hour 10 minutes-1 hour 20 minutes. The routes are straight ( as there is not much height between Strbské pleso /1355m/ and Popradské pleso /1494m/) so no matter if you are going to Popradské pleso or comeing from it, it takes the same time.
You can get to Popradské pleso if you get off the train a stop earlier at Popradské pleso stop. This way takes less time but is extremely crowded in the summer! It takes about 40-50 minutes!
From Popradské pleso the next "stop" is sedlo pod Ostrvou (1966m). It is a hard way up. 500 metres up in only 1-1.5 kms. It takes 1 hour up and 45 minutes down on the red merked trail called Tatranská Magistrála (red marked route) in the High Tatras. There is a beautiful view south from Ostrva (1979m)!
And here ends the marked trails and starts the unmarked one to Tupá (2284m). As it has no marked trails it's a bit harder to find the way up but not too difficult. Inspite it's not marked many people climb it so you won't get lost! It takes 30 minutes up and 20 minutes down. Or from Tupá you can continue your way to Klin (2186m) on the ridge ( in about 40 minutes hike). Klin lays southeast from Tupá. No metter which way you go Magistála lays down under these peaks so you can always find it and go back where you came from or go on Magistrála east. It is a beautiful trail which goes trough the High Tatras. There are many routes which take you back to the villages depending on where you slept or how long you want to walk! Going east 1h 30mins you will find the yellow mark first which takes you to Vysné Hágy (1125m) in 2 hours. If you go on the Magistrála the next is Sliezsky dom (1670m). There are many ways down from here. The yellow and the green marked trails take you to Tatranská Polianka (1005m) in about 2 hours. The yellow one takes off Magistrála before reaching Sliezsky dom (before the green one).The blue one takes you to Tatranská Zruby (995m) in about 1h 40mins. There is another yellow marked trail which starts from the green one and takes you to Stary Smokovec in about 2 hours. The Magistrála goes on but it is too long for one day to continue.
Wherever you took off Magistrála you can easily get to your camp by train!

The route can be done the oposite way too.

If you come from Popradské pleso and do not turn back from Tupá (so you continue on Magistrála) or come from the opposite way it takes most of a day. If you turn back from Tupá to Popradské pleso it's about half a day.

Essential Gear


Nothing special needed in summer or autumn!

In winter you might carry ropes and crampons but in my opinion ice axe or anything more special is not needed!
In winter the only possible way is Popradské pleso-Tupá-Popradské pleso, as it would be far much to go on Magistrála. And the routes are closed too.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

TupáRoutes