Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.09100°N / 20.06100°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7493 ft / 2284 m
Sign the Climber's Log

What's new on the page???

Page will be updated very soon!!!

Overview

Tupá (slo), Tepa (pol), Tompa-hegy/Tupa (hun), Tupa (ger)

Klin (2186m) /south/ from...South view with Klin (2186m)

The mountain is situated in the southern part of the High Tatras west from
Končzystá and east from Popradské Pleso.

This is a mountain without any marked trails!!! So you better ask the directory of the Tatra National Parks (TANAP) for a notice that you are allowed to get off the marked trails or climb with a mountain guide Inspite of this many people climb it and the neighbouring peaks which do also not have marked routes on them.

Although it is quite a silent mountain with a beautiful view south!

Koncistá (2537m) from...Končzystá

Getting There

The center of the tourist atractions in the High Tatras is Poprad. You can read about how to get to Poprad from the neighbouring countries (Austria, Hungary, Chech Republic) at Vychodná Vysoká page!!!

Looking down on Popradské...Looking down on Popradské Pleso

When you arrived to Poprad you can go by a train to the main villages of the High Tatras: Strbské Pleso (1346m), Stary Smokovec (1010m), Tatranská Lomnica (850m), Tatranská Polianka (1005m) and Podbanské (950m). The nearest start for climbing the mountain is if you take off the train at Strbské Pleso or Popradské Pleso (which is one stop before Strbské Pleso).
As Tupa is climbable starting from the Magistrála (a route which goes through the High Tatras) at Sedlo pod Ostrvou (1966m), you can take off the train and start your climb nearly at all the stations between Stary Smokovec and Strbské Pleso! (Stary Smokovec /1010m/, Tatranské Zruby /995m/, Tatranská Polianka /1005m/, Vysné Hágy /1125m/, Popradské Pleso /1250m/, Strbské Pleso /1346m/).
From these places you can climb the mountain (and depending on strenght, the neighbouring peak Klin /2186m/) and make a beautiful circle in the south region of the High Tatras in only one day!

Red Tape

There are no permits or fees during your climb! There might be some parking fees in the area if you go by car but it's not expensive! The only fee you could get during your climb is if you go without a guide or a paper from TANAP which says you are allowed to go...

The routes are closed from 1st of November to the 15th of June.

Inside the National Park you couldn't collect anything from nature, make fire or put up a tent!

You can have a lot of informations about the whole High Tatras, the National Park, camping, routes, wildlife and rules from TANAP!

When To Climb

It is possible to climb in every time of the year but it's easiest in summer or autumn! As the mountain has no marked trail you need an allowance in every time of the year!

You need nothing special (gear) for climbing in summer but if you climb in winter ropes and crampons are necessary (and maybe an ice axe).
In winter there might be snow avalanches (even with 3. strenght are usual).

It is a mountain everyone can easily climb!

Camping

There are many hotels and houses in the whole High Tatras. But you cannot camp with a tent inside the National Park!

If you want to sleep closer to the mountain as you would be able to start your journey early in the morning (although the whole climb needs only max. half a day) you can get apartments at Strbské Pleso (1346m), Popradské Pleso (1494m)-Chata pod Popradské Pleso (1500m), Vysné Hágy (1125m), Nová Polianka (1060m) or Sliezsky dom (1670m).

See more informations at: TANAP!

Mountain Conditions

There are two websites I know which could give you informations about mountain conditions. The first is the TANAP-Tatransky Narodny Park (as you can see above). The other is: vysoketatry.org!

I have no informations about phone numbers for current conditions. There is no weather station or any web cams on the peak!

Useful telephone numbers in case of accidents:

Red Cross at High Tatras: 155
Mountain Rescue Team :18300
Mountain Helicopter Service: 18155


Wish everyone not to use them and a pleasant journey!


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.