Mid Tallac Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.90610°N / 120.0978°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From So. Lake Tahoe take Hwy 89 north to Fallen Leaf Road. Follow Fallen Leaf lake road all the way to the south end of the lake, go past the Marina and make a left at the fire station. Follow this road to its end at the Glen alpine trail head at Lilly Lake. If you can park at the upper section of the parking lot you will be nearer the trailhead.

Route Description


From the parking lot head towards the upper most parking spots at the base of Cathedral peak. Here you will find an access road heading north/north east. Walk down this road for approx. 150 to 200 feet and on your left you will see a use trail leading up a small gully, this is the beginning of the trail. Follow this trail as it winds back around and above the parking lot. There are some slabs where the trail will disappear but it is easy to regain and will bring you to a series of swich backs on the scree slopes of Cathedral peak. Continue following the trail as it traverses the scree slope, you will cross a very short class 2-3 section. Continue until you come to the ridge at the creek. Here the trail splits to the left for Gilmore Lake. The mid tallac trail continues to the right (north) and will be faint. Follow the faint trail across the wide open section of brush and scree north untill you meet up with the Cathedral Lake trail that leads to Tallac's summit. Be advised that the trail from the split to Gilmore lake to the Cathedral Lake trail is faint and not well marked(more like cross country), but if you head north at the split you will come to the ridge overlooking Fallen Leaf lake and Lake Tahoe and the Cathedral lake trail. I will try to include a topo and pictures shortly. I have found that in the summer, this trail offers spectacular views of Pyramid, Angora and the other peaks south of Tallac.

Essential Gear


Basic day hike gear.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.