Middle Bald Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.76529°N / 105.70727°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11002 ft / 3353 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Middle Bald Mountain is the second tallest of the three Bald Mountains (and also the second tallest named peak in the Laramie Range.) South Bald Mountain is the tallest, but only by one foot.

From the summit you have great views in all directions: to the south you can see the Mummy Range; to the southeast is the Never Summer range, as well as the upper Poudre Canyon; to the west are the Medicine Bow Mountains; to the northwest is the Park Range; to the north you can see flatter areas in Wyoming; and to the east are lower foothills. From the summit you can also see nearby North and South Bald Mountains, as well as a couple of other unnamed peaks.
Middle Bald Mountain

Getting There

There are numerous ways of getting here, so I will just describe the way I used, and list a few other ways, as well.

Take Highway 287 north from Fort Collins to Livermore. Turn left onto Red Feather Lakes Road at Livermore and go 24 miles to Red Feather Lakes. Turn left onto Deadman Road and go 6.9 miles to the Killpecker Trailhead, which is on the left side of the road just before the North Fork Campground. Hike 3.9 miles up the Killpecker Trail to timberline, where there is a saddle to the northwest of the summit. From there, you need only hike 300 m up to the summit.

You can also get near the base of the peak by taking the North Lone Pine Trail, the rugged Killpecker Road (NF 300), or the very rugged Elkhorn Baldy Road (NF 517).
Three Bald Mountains

Red Tape

You can get near the base of the mountain by hiking, horseback, bicycle, motorcycle, ATV, or snowmobile. For more information check with the US Forest Service.

Camping

The peak is in multi-use national forest. Contact the US Forest Service for any information on camping regulations.

External Links

Killpecker and North Lone Pine Trails Photo Album

Seasonal Information

Possible Forest Service access roads in the area are:
Deadman Road as far as Pearl Beaver Road
Killpecker Road (NF 300)
Bald Mountain Road (NF 517)

For the most up-to-date information on road openings and closures, visit the US Forest Service Road Conditions Website.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bald MountainsMountains & Rocks