Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 40.76528°N / 105.70667°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Middle Bald MountainMiddle Bald Mountain

The Bald Mountains are a cluster of mountains in the southern part of the Laramie Range in north-central Colorado. They consist of the three highest named peaks of the Laramie Range, plus several nearby unnamed peaks. The three named peaks are from highest to lowest: 11,003' South Bald Mountain, 11,002' Middle Bald Mountain, and 10,982' North Bald Mountain. As you might expect, the peaks are so named for their predominantly bald tops that jut just above timberline. The peaks are located in the Canyon Lakes District of Roosevelt National Forest.
 West Bald Mountain "West Bald Mountain"

An interesting fact is that the highest peak of the Bald Mountains (and Laramie Range) is an unnamed peak that isn't even given an elevation on USGS Topo Maps. The peak is measured at 11,020 feet (Lists of John) and is located at 40.77033 N, 105.71605 W. It is also the 95th most prominent peak in Colorado, according to Lists of John, with a rise of 1880 feet. I would like to suggest calling this peak "West Bald Mountain."

Other unnamed peaks of the Bald Mountains are:
Unnamed Peak 10,895' (40.77607 N, 105.73311 W)
Unnamed Peak 10,884' (40.74399 N, 105.68178 W) *aka "Southeast Bald Mountain"
Unnamed Peak 10,775' (40.74547 N, 105.69034 W)
Unnamed Peak 10,670' (40.75770 N, 105.70250 W)
Unnamed Peak 10,546' (40.74566 N, 105.67379 W)
This is an unofficial list. There are other unnamed peaks in the area that are not "bald", therefore I have chosen not to list them here.

Getting There

South Bald MountainSouth Bald Mountain

There are numerous ways of getting here. Five of the most common are:
1) From the Killpecker Trailhead on Deadman Road
2) From the North Lone Pine Trailhead on Deadman Road
3) From the Swamp Creek Cutoff Trail via Manhattan Road (CR 162) to NF 171 to NF 171C
4) From the rugged Killpecker Road (NF 300)
5) From the very rugged Elkhorn Baldy Road (NF 517)
For more detailed directions, see the "Getting There" descriptions for South Bald Mountain and Middle Bald Mountain

Red Tape

North Bald MountainNorth Bald Mountain
You can get near the base of these mountains by hiking, horseback, bicycle, motorcycle, ATV, or snowmobile. For more information, check with the US Forest Service.

Camping

These peaks are in multi-use national forest. Contact the US Forest Service for the most current information on camping regulations.
View from the summit of Middle Bald Mountain

External Links

For photo albums for hikes to five of these peaks, see:
South Bald Mountain
North, Middle and "West" Bald Mountains
"Southeast Bald Mountain" (10,884')

Want to Contribute?

Anyone is welcome to contribute. Just let me know what you want added to the description, and I will likely add it for you. Thanks!

Seasonal Information

Possible Forest Service access roads in the area are:
Deadman Road as far as Pearl Beaver Road
Killpecker Road (NF 300)
Bald Mountain Road (NF 517)

For the most up-to-date information on road openings and closures, visit the US Forest Service Road Conditions Website.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
tarol

tarol - Dec 27, 2006 4:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Good page

Just a little suggestion... Change National Forest Service to US Forest Service.

joegrim

joegrim - Jan 2, 2007 1:41 am - Hasn't voted

Thank you

Thank you. I've made the change you suggested.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Front RangeAreas & Ranges