Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.25034°N / 10.10742°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8346 ft / 2544 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Following west to the Lechtaler Alps the Lechquellengebirge is building a horseshoe around the rising of the river Lech. Of this part of the Alps the northern-most mountain is the Mohnenfluh, an excellent summit with stunning views to the Allgäuer Alps and the Bregenzerwald. Due to its height the panorama reaches south to Swiss and north to the southern area of the Allgäuer Alps. Biberkopf, Braunarlspitze, Rote Wand and Widderstein are few of the many wellknown summits in this area.

Though the ways are mostly rather easy to walk, you should be certain in the height and at small paths.

For the trail from Schröcken and back again you will need about 8 hours, from Lech you will need 5 to 6 hours, but in summer you can shorten the ascent by use of the cable car.

A traverse to Braunarlspitze is possible but there will be some climbing and alpine experience is necessary.

BraunarlspitzeBraunarlspitze seen from Mohnensattel


During winter there is a large skiing area at the eastern slopes of Mohnenfluh, just above Lech.


Getting There

Whereas there are some trails from the south the easiest routes come either from Schröcken oder from Lech.

  • Approaching from the north: coming from Bodensee area the easiest way leads from Bregenz on the B200 via Alberschwende and Egg to Schröcken. From the Füssen area in southern Bavaria follow the B179 to Reutte, then the B198 leading to Warth and then to Lech.

  • Approaching from Bludenz in Vorarlberg follow the S16 to Arlberg. From Innsbruck take the Inntal-Highway via Imst and Landeck to Arlberg again. In the village of Stuben branch north on the B198 and over the Flexenpass to Zürs and on to Lech.


Mohnenfluh


The easiest way to the Mohnenfluh starts at Lech. From Oberlech several well-marked paths lead to the Mohnensattel, a saddle between Zuger Hochlicht and Mohnenfluh. You will need about 2 to 3 hours, but during summer you can use the cable car Petersbodenbahn, which will shorten the ascent seriously.

More rewarding but even longer is the way from Schröcken. Follow the well-marked way from the church along a burn up to Fellalpe (1385 m), then head to Biberacher Hut and at a small waterfall follow the trail to Butzensee.

BraunarlspitzeButzensee and Braunarlspitze


At a fork you follow the steep and exposed Geislinger Path. This way is rather alpine with some easy scrambles. On some places there are even fixed ropes. The next destination is Butzensee, a small and very charming little lake. From there you head uphill to Mohnensattel and then finally a faint path leads over steep boulders on to the summit.

The summit of Mohnenfluh


Red Tape

There are some restrictions because of farmland.

Camping

On my map there are no camping grounds, so if anybody knows camping areas please feel free to add them.

In Schröcken and Lech there are lots of hotels, pensions and inns suitable for every purse.

External Links

Homepage of Schröcken

Homepage of Lech

Information on Petersbodenbahn

Information on skiing

General information on this area

Information on Austrian Coaches

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

LechquellengebirgeMountains & Rocks