Mokelumne Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Jonodo

Jonodo - Jul 17, 2005 10:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Good point on the elevation gain. I was measuring one way point to point. To be consistent with the other routes I changed the elevation gain to your suggestion. Thanks for the input.

Jonodo

Jonodo - Jul 17, 2005 11:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for adding the link to the map. I've updated the elevation gain on the main page to be closer to reality.

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Jul 15, 2005 11:58 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

In winter and spring, Mokelumne Peak is most easily reached from Hwy 88 in the vicinity of Silver Lake. This is about 20mi and 3500'+ gain RT from the lake (there's a fair bit of up and down on the way to the peak from Plasse), but you can shave off a couple of miles and 700' gain from the day if you start instead from Tragedy Spring at the 7900' elevation. It should be possible to follow a dirt road along the ridge to Allen and then on to Plasse. A pullout along Hwy 88 provides parking for 1-2 cars.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jul 15, 2005 2:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

The gain is off for the start from Plasse Resort even in summer. As Matthew points out, it is more like 3,500ft than 2,000ft. This map shows the alternative winter/spring start route that Matthew suggests.

Jonodo

Jonodo - Jul 17, 2005 10:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Good point on the elevation gain. I was measuring one way point to point. To be consistent with the other routes I changed the elevation gain to your suggestion. Thanks for the input.

Jonodo

Jonodo - Jul 17, 2005 11:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for adding the link to the map. I've updated the elevation gain on the main page to be closer to reality.

Matt Worster

Matt Worster - Jun 19, 2006 4:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Tanglefoot correction

At the fork just before the trailhead (approx. 3.3 mi.), you do go to the left, but you take 8N14E at the fork, and do NOT follow 8N14.

Trivial note: it appears the current trail has been relocated from that shown on the USGS topo. I haven't matched it up yet, but I'll check it out. Trailhead has not been relocated, but it is not where one would guess by looking at the topo. Only GPS users would really, care though :-)

Jonodo

Jonodo - Jun 21, 2006 4:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tanglefoot correction

Thanks for the update. I've incorporated it into the text.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Mokelumne Peak' main page