Mont Velan Grand Combin Matterhorn & others: an increasingly dangerous walls/2

Mont Velan Grand Combin Matterhorn & others: an increasingly dangerous walls/2

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

Always more broken mountains

Mont Velan (3734m, to the right or South) and Combins de Valsorey (4184m) & Grafeneire (4374m), by livioz

We were left with: "A very hot summer has upset not only the men but also the mountains that, having lost their glue or "PERMAFROST", have become disjointed and, trembling, unglued. Also the Mont Velan or Mont Vélan also known for the valaisan inhabitants as V'lan was not less and, while its ice melted uninterrupted, even its walls began to quiver more than usual. Self-destructing themselves with continuous falls of stones, if not even small and large landslides. First we went to "peek" what was happening on the nearby mountain of Mont Velan or, as already mentioned, Vélan even V'lan, which stands right in front of the City of Aosta, but then we took note of what the media reported, learning fatal news from a some everywhere, or in other neighboring valleys. But also in the neighboring montainous and alpine regions of France and Switzerland. Especially on the Italian and French sides of the Mont Blanc Range. We will analyze these phenomena in a third successive article, such as to report the historical events also of other large and more ancient rocky landslides or glacial downfalls. Unfortunately, all for a series of events to be recorded as tragic and nefarious; in which people have lost their lives. Not sparing anyone, whether they were good mountaineers but also skilled and very professional guides.

The walls of the V'lan have always been dangerous, especially the South-southeast face facing the city of Aosta and therefore well in sight. But also with regard to the homologous and opposite face Southwest which descends towards the Vallone di Molline / Menouve above the Municipality of Etroubles (1270m) on the road to the Gran San Bernardo. In this year, however, things have deteriorated somewhat due to the scorching heat that burned scree, stones, gravel, rocks and ice; because the same, but especially the Southern one, are completely inadvisable. Unless you try to meet unpleasant or almost unforeseen circumstances. Fortunately, you meet few people around here. At least as far as the highest parts are concerned, well beyond the limits of the pastures. Indeed, as far as I know, none at all ... Therefore, and finally, these walls are more dangerous than not difficult and such as to require a great deal of attention and appropriate choice of situations and conditions. Factors that are often not enough ..."

But even on the other mountains of the Valle di Aosta the same phenomena have occurred due to the same pathologies, such as to save no one. Likewise the great mountains, even the most beautiful and clear ones, have become ugly, losing, if not their lines, certainly their splendid and clear colors. Becoming old spinsters, full of wrinkles and flickering against the undaunted and merciless sky. Like decadent women, they fall to pieces ...

Faudery Faceballa & V lan above Mont Riond
GREAT LANDSLIDE on the S-SE Face of Mont Velan or V lan
Mont Velan


S-SE Face from Conca di By with before and after the vertiginous landslide, by Antonio & Osw


Ci eravamo lasciati con: "Un'estate molto calda ha sconvolto non solo gli uomini ma anche le montagne le quali, perduto il loro collante o "PERMAFROST", si sono disunite e, tremando, scollate. Anche il Mont Velan o V'lan non é stato da meno e, mentre i suoi ghiacci scioglievano ininterrottamente, pure le sue pareti hanno incominciato a fremere più del solito. Autodistruggendosi con cadute continue di ghiaie e pietre, se non addirittura piccole e grandi frane. Dapprima siam andati a "sbirciare" ciò che accadeva sulla vicina montagna del Mont Velan od anche V'lan, ergentesi proprio davanti alla Città di Aosta, ma poi abbiamo preso atto di quanto riportavano i mezzi d'informazione, apprendendo nefaste notizie da un pò dovunque, ovvero nelle altre vallate viciniori. Ma anche nelle confinanti regioni alpestri ed alpine di Francia e Svizzera. Soprattutto sui versanti sia italiano che francese della Catena del Monte Bianco. Analizzeremo questi fenomeni in un terzo successivo articolo, tale da riportare gli eventi storici anche di altre grandi e più antiche frane rocciose o smottamenti glaciali. Purtroppo, il tutto per una serie di eventi da registrare come tragici e nefasti; nei quali hanno perso la vita persone. Non risparmiando nessuno, sia che fossero bravi alpinisti ma pure valenti e professionali guide.

Le pareti del V'lan sono sempre state pericolose, soprattutto la faccia Sud-sudest rivolta verso la Città di Aosta e quindi bene in vista. Ma anche per quanto concerne l'omologa ed opposta faccia Sudovest che scende verso il Vallone di Molline/Menouve al di sopra del Comune di Etroubles (1270 m) verso il Colle del Gran San Bernardo. In questo anno però le cose sono alquanto peggiorate a causa del caldo torrido che ha bruciato sassi, ghiaie, pietraie, rocce e ghiacci; per la qualcosa le medesime, ma soprattutto quella Meridionale, sono del tutto sconsigliabili. A meno che non si cerchi di andare incontro a spiacevoli imprevisti o quasi. Per fortuna incontri poca gente da queste parti. Almeno per quanto riguarda le parti maggiormente elevate, ben oltre il limite dei pascoli. Anzi, per quel che ne sò, proprio nessuno ... Quindi, e per concludere, sono queste pareti più pericolose che non difficili e tali da richiedere molta attenzione e scelta opportuna di situazioni e condizioni. Fattori che, spesso, non bastano ..."

Ma anche sulle altre montagne della Valle di Aosta si sono verificati gli stessi fenomeni a causa delle medesime patologie, tali da non risparmiare nessuno.Così pure le grandi montagne, anche le più belle e limpide, si sono abbruttite, perdendo, se non le loro linee, certamente i loro splendidi e limpidi colori. Diventando vecchie zitelle, piene di rughe e tremolanti contro l'imperterrito ed impietoso cielo.Come le donne in decadenza, pur loro cascano a pezzi ...

Tragically even on Matterhorn and below the Combin de Valsorey

A very hot summer has upset not only the men but also the mountains that, having lost their glue or "PERMAFROST", have become disjointed and, trembling, unglued. Also the Mont Velan or V'lan was not less and, while its ice melted uninterrupted, even its walls began to quiver more than usual. Self-destructing themselves with continuous falls of stones, if not even small and large landslides. A continuous shattering, while the ice was subject to perpetual oozing. Thus, slowly, even the mountains die; disintegrating and ending up in water and dust: just like for men, both mortal and "immortal" ...

Nevertheless the technical and physical preparation, the knowledge of the territory and the route to be taken, the necessary precautions and the utmost attention, are reasons and factors which, unfortunately, are sometimes not enough, because the mountain is always unpredictable, as happened this summer (August 10th) at the Guide to the Matterhorn, as well as the thirty-eight year old of the Municipality of Châtillon, Federico Daricou on the ascent with the client to the Grand Combin de Valsorey (4184m), a not difficult mountain that precedes the Summit of the Grand Combin de Grafeneire (4314m ), but still very dangerous. A fall of stones at dawn struck them. But it could also happen to me on September 9th 1973, when after having climbed the West Ridge together with the Engineer Emilio Noussan (+) and Giuseppe Lamazzi, a violent storm surprised us at four o'clock in the afternoon going down on the Isler Shoulder (3664m) . Great thunder upset the shell-like crevice but, far worse, from the Combin de Valsorey, everything came down. To a Dutch consortium, already addressed to the homonymous refuge (3030m) or Cabane, from the Southwest Wall, the one above the Col du Meitin (3418m), a block as big as an automobile passed overhead. Touching them. We saw them dead and held our breath anxiously. But their time had not and arrived at the hut or Valsorey 's Cabane told us they had only seen a dark shadow half a meter above their heads. Then the plate grinded and sank with a dull thud, like a ship, into the sea of ​​snow. A bad day in which the Emile had already fallen on the second of the three jumps of the ridge (retained by the last 3 from the only nail of 15 centimeters infix and after a flight of ten meters) while in descent from the Grafeneire the "Peppino" he had slipped on the verglass like an olympic sled (also miraculously held here thanks to a spike of rock the size of a thumb). But still a day that ended well. While in the misfortune of this year the "Black Misfortune" unfortunately got the better. The mountains were already collapsing half a century ago, but today it is even worse. And there is no precaution that takes, as it happened in July 24th, 2019 on the Matterhorn, on the "Keuzsatz" in the "Hornligrat" or Hornli 's Ridge, to the forty-year-old Chilean Guide, but resident in the Netherlands, with his 37-year-old Australian client: well anchored to the rock, they saw a whole block of it detach. Smashing 1200 meters below. Requiescant ...

Matterhorn & Dent d Herens
Passing the Matterhorn north face
Matterhorn


Black & killing Matterhorn or Cervino, by Lodewijk, hansw and andrea.it


Un'estate molto calda ha sconvolto non solo gli uomini ma anche le montagne che, perduto il loro collante o "PERMAFROST", si sono disunite e, tremando, scollate. Anche il Mont Velan o V'lan non é stato da meno e, mentre i suoi ghiacci scioglievano ininterrottamente, pure le sue pareti hanno incominciato a fremere più del solito. Autodistruggendosi con cadute continue di pietre, se non addirittura piccole e grandi frane. Continuo frantumarsi, mentre i ghiacci eran soggetti a perpetuo stillicidio. Sì, lentamente, pur le montagne muoiono; disgregandosi onde finire in acqua e polvere: proprio come per gli uomini, sia che sian mortali quanto "immortali" ......

Tuttavia la preparazione tecnica e fisica, la conoscenza del territorio e del percorso da effettuare, le precauzioni del caso e la somma attenzione, sono motivi e fattori che, purtroppo, a volte non bastano, perché la montagna rimane sempre imprevedibile, com'é successo quest'estate alla Guida del Cervino, nonché trentottenne del Comune di Châtillon, Federico Daricou (10 di agosto) nella salita con il cliente al Grand Combin de Valsorey (4184 m), una montagna non difficile che precede la Vetta del Grand Combin de Grafeneire (4374 m) ma pur sempre alquanto pericolosa. Una caduta di pietre all'alba li ha stroncati. Ma poteva succedere anche a me il 9 di Settembre 1973, allorché dopo aver salito la Cresta Ovest insieme all'Ingegnere Emilio Noussan (+) ed a Giuseppe Lamazzi, un violento temporale ci sorprese alle ore quattro del pomeriggio scendendo sulla Spalla Isler (3664 m).Grandi tuoni sconvolgevano l'anfratto a forma di conchiglia ma, molto peggio, dal Combin de Valsorey veniva giù di tutto. Ad una cordata olandese, già indirizzata all'omonimo rifugio (3030 m) o Cabane, dalla Parete Sudovest, quella al di sopra del Col du Meitin (3418 m), un blocco grande come un'automobile passò sopra la testa. Sfiorandoli. Li vedemmo morti e trattenemmo ansiosamente il respiro. Ma non era giunta la loro ora e giunti alla Cabane ci raccontarono di aver visto soltanto un ombra scura mezzo metro sopra le loro teste. Poi il piatto macignò affondò con un tonfo sordo, come un veliero, nel mare di neve. Una giornataccia nella quale già mi era caduto l'Emile sul secondo dei tre salti della cresta (trattenuto dagli ultimi 3 dall'unico chiodo di 15 centimetri infisso e dopo un volo di una decina di metri) mentre in discesa dal Grafeneire il "Peppino" era scivolato sul verglass come una slitta olimpinionica (anche qui miracolosamente trattenuto grazie ad uno spuntone di roccia grosso come un pollice). Ma pur sempre una giornata finita bene. Mentre nella disgrazia di quest'anno la "Sfortuna Nera", purtroppo, ha avuto la meglio. Le montagne crollavano già mezzo secolo or sono, ma oggi é ancora peggio. E non c'é precauzione che tenga, come é successo il 24 Luglio 2019 sul Cervino, versante svizzero alla "Keuzsatz" sulla Cresta dell' Hornli od "Hornligrat", alla quarantenne Guida cilena, ma residente nei Paesi Bassi, con il cliente australiano di 37 anni: ben ancorati alla roccia, hanno visto distaccarsi un blocco dalla medesima. Sfracellandosi 1200 metri al di sotto. Requiescant ...

Grand Combin de Valsorey
Grand Combin
Grand Combin and Mont Velan


Mont Velan & Grand Combins de Valsorey and Grafeneire from West

by Antonio & andreaperino





Comments

No comments posted yet.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.