Monte Brione loop

Monte Brione loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.89189°N / 10.87249°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: E
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Brione crossing

Monte Brione 374 m is a small mountain falling steeply on the shores of Garda Lake near the Forte San Nicolò (Riva del Garda) and creeps like a long rocky wedge in the Sarca plain, between Riva del Garda and Arco. On the East side overlooking the Valle di Linfano and the village of Torbole, it shows a vertical rock wall about 200 m high formed by friable limestones, while on the west side it slopes gently with woods and olive groves towards Riva. The particular conformation of the mountain allows the performance of a profitable ring following a stretch of the Sentiero della Pace, a path 520 km long starting from Passo del Tonale and reaching the Marmolada, across the front line of the WWI (Great War). Uphill the itinerary climbs up without any difficulty and with breathtaking views along a panoramic path located on the large ridge that dominates the rocky wall facing East, while downhill it follows the gentle vegetated slopes located to the west, bringing back to the starting point.

Monte Brione seen from the lake
Monte Brione seen from the lake

 

This itinerary has a strong naturalistic, panoramic and above all historical interest. In fact, due to its dominant position and being located near the border with Italy, Monte Brione was transformed by the Austro-Hungarian Empire into an impregnable fortress between 1860 and the beginning of the WWI. Some majestic forts were built on the mountain with the aim of monitoring the northern part of the lake: with the construction of three fortresses between 1860 and the beginning of the WWI: in addition to the Forte San Nicolò where it begins the route, the Forte Garda, the Batteria di Mezzo and the Forte S. Alessandro. These fortifications are still intact and can be visited during the ascent. 

Prealpi Trentine annotated view from Garda Lake
Prealpi Trentine annotated view from Garda Lake

Getting There

Staircase at the start of the path to Monte Brione
Staircase at the start of the path to Monte Brione
Monte Brione
Monte Brione

The itinerary start from porto San Nicolò, a hamlet of Riva del Garda (TN), where it's situated the lowest fortress, Forte San Nicolò,   just before the tunnel that leads from Riva to Torbole. You can park your car in the nearby parking lot in via Brione.

- Coming from A22 (Trento or Verona) exit Rovereto Sud and take the road to Riva del Garda and Porto San Nicolò 

- Coming from Brescia follow the SS 45bis (Western Gardesana) to Riva del Garda and Porto San Nicolò

Route Description

Monte Brione loop

Difficulty: E
Difference in level: 370 m from Porto San Nicolò

 

Wide pano from Monte Brione
Wide pano from Monte Brione

Behind the Forte San Nicolò it starts a staircase that connects to the beginning of the path to Monte Brione near an ancient pink-colored villa. The trail begins to climb steeply immediately, giving beautiful views of Lake Garda. The path alternates stretches on dirt ground and steps along the way and is protected by a metal cord on the side of the exposed East face. There are several panoramic points where you can stop and admire the splendid view of the lake, the surrounding mountains and a panorama overlooking Torbole and Linfano. In about 20-30 minutes of steep climb with breathtaking views you reach the second fortress: Forte Garda, a mighty building well camouflaged with the surrounding environment and partly dug into the rock.

Garda fortress, Monte Brione
Garda fortress, Monte Brione
Scenery from Batteria di Mezzo, Monte Brione
Scenery from Batteria di Mezzo, Monte Brione

 

 

 

After about 30 minutes of walking you reach the Batteria di Mezzo, another majestic fortress of which it is possible to reach the large roof. Here the views of the surrounding landscape are more and more extensive. During the war this fort was equipped with a long tunnel that came out with an observatory and cannons on the overhanging east wall of Mount Brione.

From the Batteria di Mezzo in a few minutes you reach the big cross, which is located below the culminating point of the mountain. Going beyond the cross, you reach the summit antennas and the mule track to Forte Sant'Alessandro (North Battery), built at the northern end of the mountain. We can see only some ruins immersed in the vegetation. 

Western Garda summits annotated pano seen from Monte Brione
Western Garda summits annotated pano seen from Monte Brione

 

 

The cross of Monte Brione
The cross of Monte Brione

 

 

 

 

From this last fort we return to the road of Monte Brione which starts nearby, along which, with the possibility of several shortcuts that cut through the road, we descend to the starting point. During the descent we can visit some other remains of the WWI, such as the tunnel mentioned above, which opens onto the East wall overlooking the plain of Linfano. Alternatively, from the ruins if Forte S. Alessandro it is also possible to continue along the path that descends to the hamlet of Sant'Alessandro and from there return on the paved road to the port.

Essential Gear

Usual hiking equipment

Red Tape

No fees no permits required. Both the Forte Garda and the Batteria di Mezzo can be visited, but not every day of the year. For the opening hours see:

Forti Monte Brione info

Labelled pano of Prealpi Gardesane seen from Torbole
Labelled pano of Prealpi Gardesane seen from Torbole

 

Monte Brione and on background the Pichea chain and Misone
Monte Brione and on background the Pichea chain and Misone

Accomodation

The area is a primarily destination and offers every kind of accomodation.

Pano from WWI Garda Fortress, Monte Brione
Pano from WWI Garda Fortress, Monte Brione

Meteo Forecast

Meteo Trentino



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.