Monte Rosa September 2008

Monte Rosa September 2008

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 10, 2008
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Foreword

During summer of 2008 grew up the idea that we should materialize the dream of almost all mountaineers, to climb the Matterhorn. Didn’t chew the cud too much, for some practice we hopped out to the Hochewand in Austria, to refresh a little bit our climbing skills and profess the multi-pitch techniques. Then in September we thought that its time has come, gathered the stuff and got way to Switzerland. We thought in terms of a low budget, so we didn’t book any accommodation. Jóska, my climb mate, transformed a bit the cargo hold of his Toyota van, so we could fix up a mattress for two on a collapsible bedstead and under it there remained a lot of place for our luggage. This configuration took a good exam, in 2007 we passed round the half of Dolomites and we didn’t need to sleep in a rest-house.

2008 nyarán körvonalazódott a gondolat, hogy meg kellene valósítani minden hegymászók álmát, azaz megmászni a Matterhornt. Túl sokat nem rágódtunk rajta, edzésként kiugrottunk a Hochewandra, egy kicsit felfrissíteni mászó-tudásunkat és a több kötélhosszas technikát gyakorolni. Aztán szeptemberben elérkezettnek láttuk az időt, összeszedtük a cuccot és irány Svájc. Alacsony költségvetésű túrában gondolkodtunk, ezért szállást nem is foglaltunk. Jóska a Toyota furgon rakterét egy kicsit átalakította, így be lehetett suvasztani egy két személyes matracot egy lehajtható ágykeretre, ez alatt pedig bőven volt hely a csomagoknak is. A konfiguráció jól vizsgázott, 2007-ben már megjártuk így a Dolomitokat, ott sem kellett egy éjszakát menedékházban aludnunk.

Hochtor

We decided that for some warming up we could have a look round the Hochtor, to avoid the great muscle strain in the big mountains. Climbed some levels, and after all we didn’t regret because we walked around a very beautiful place and saw nice mountains.

Úgy gondoltuk, hogy bemelegítéseképpen kicsit körbenézünk a Hochtor környékén, elkerülendő, hogy a nagy hegyeken jöjjön ránk a nagy izomláz, dolgoztunk némi szintet, végül is nem bántuk meg, mert nagyon szép helyen jártunk, szép hegyeket láttunk és másztunk meg.



Hess-hütteHess-hütte
Valley of EnnsValley of Enns



WavesWaves
PlanspitzePlanspitze



PlanspitzePlanspitze
Hochtor-on the summit: 2369 mHochtor-on the summit: 2369 m


Breithorn

From here, as we planned, quickly we arrived under Zermatt and pitched camp in a parking place in Täsch. It is good to know that driving into Zermatt is allowed only with a special permit, the very most of other earthborn has to take the train between the two localities or the trail beside the rail.
Our plan was that for acclimatization we would do a closer examination of Breithorn, the closest 4.000 m summit to the Matterhorn. And so we did: in consideration of we didn’t have to much time for this trip, we could save a lot of time and energy (but loosing a lot of money :o) having resort to the ski elevator in the lower region of the mountain. Next morning taking the elevator in just a few hours we reached the Little Matterhorn at 3.900 m altitude and from here we had to conquer only further 270 meters until the Breithorn summit. The western summit is 4.164 m high and we had a very nice weather, accordingly there was a huge crowd on the three summits. Breithorn is considered an easy vincible peak, but the view from here is the same breathtaking as from an other heavy 4.000 m summit. After we were enraptured by the scenery for a while and sucked the thin air, took some photos, we walked through the eastern summit, meantime got foretaste of a blade ridge. Frequently nodding we acquitted that neither here wasn’t recommended to slip out the trail because suddenly we could find ourselves some hundreds of meters hereinafter. From here only a pleasant walk waited for us to the elevator and to our car in Täsch. After an abundant dinner we did our pack for the next day and soon put ourselves in horizontal in the Toyota’s hold.

Innen tovább, amint terveztük, meg is érkeztünk Zermatt alá és a kocsival Täsch-ben egy parkolóban szállást vertünk. Jó tudni, hogy magába Zermatt-ba autóval csak kevés kiváltságosoknak lehetséges behajtani, a többi földi halandónak vonattal kell a két helység közötti kb 5 km-t letudni, vagy gyalog a vasút melletti túraösvényen.
A terv az volt, hogy akklimatizálódás végett megnézzük közelebbről a Breithorn-t. Így is lett: tekintettel arra, hogy túl sok időnk nem volt erre a túrára, úgy gondoltuk, sok időt és energiát takaríthatunk meg, ha a sífelvonókat is igénybe veszünk az alsóbb régiókban. Ennek megfelelően másnap felvonóval hipp-hopp a Kis-Matterhorn-on teremtünk majdnem 3.900 m magasan, innen viszont már gyalog kell tovább menni a Breithorn csúcsok felé, a nyugati csúcs 4164 m nyúlik a tenger fölé. Nagyon szép időnk volt, ennek megfelelően a tömeg is elég nagy volt a környéken. A Breithorn könnyen legyűrhető csúcsnak számít, viszont a kilátás innen is éppoly lélegzet-elállító, mint bármelyik másik 4.000 fölötti csúcsról. Miután jól kigyönyörködtük magunkat és szívtuk a ritka levegőt, készítettünk néhány képet, átballagtunk a keleti csúcsra, közben kaptunk egy kis ízelítőt a penge gerincből. Sűrűn bólogatva nyugtáztuk, hogy itt sem ajánlatos kicsúszni az ösvényből, mert hirtelen jó néhány 100 méterrel lennebb találnánk magunkat, illetve darabjainkat. Innen már csak egy kellemes lefelé séta maradt vissza a felvonóhoz, majd a täschi kies parkolónkig, ahol már várt ránk hű furgonunk. Kiadós vacsora után összepakoltuk a következő napokra való pakkot majd hamarosan vízszintbe helyeztük magunkat a csomagtérben.




Breithorn
Testa GrigiaTesta Grigia



Breithorn
May be North-eastMay be Norty-east



Me and the (Big) OneMe and the (Big) One
The crowd rarefiesThe crowd rarefies



The crowd grows :o)The crowd grows
Breithorn ridgeBreithorn ridge



Breithorn central summitBreithorn central summit
Nice couple: Breithorn and MatterhornNice couple: Breithorn and Matterhorn



Lyskamm and Co.Lyskamm and Co
Lyskam and Co. Lyskamm and Co



Blow, blow thou winter windBlow, blow thou winter wind
Breithorn western summitBreithorn western summit

Matterhorn

Next day we started again with the train from Täsch to Zermatt (fortunately the railway station wasn’t too far from our parking place, so we knew the way almost with closed eyes), very soon after the train we were on the ski elevator until the terminal Schwarzsee paradise at 2.600 m. With great backpacks and great appetite we went for the 750 m level that waited for us until the Hörnli hütte. The weather was magnificent henceforward, the view also, in front of us the Big Mountain, at our left further amazing peaks of Monte Rosa from the Dufourspitze to Lyskamm and Breinthorn. We advanced well, so at early afternoon got the Hütte.


Breithorn and the Little Matterhorn Breithorn and the Little Matterhorn
Hörnli with BreithornHörnli with the Breithorns



There wasn’t too much crowd, after checking in the quarters we stood lying on our back in the sunshine nearby the house and ogled with the huge pyramid that crested over us and tried to condition ourselves spiritually for the task of the next day. Retired to bed quite early for we had to wake up at early dawn. In spite of we were very agitated we could sleep pretty well, but didn’t wait until our reveille because all the people in the sleeping room prepared to the same place with us and the there were some who wanted to depart earlier. A fast clothing, checking our equipment and having a light and quick breakfast and in 20 minutes we were ready for leaving. Meteorology for that and the next day said a convenient weather for climbing and the staff of the hütte confirmed it.
At 3 o’clock am we were already on „road” and soon reached the cliffs at a little snow-field. There we had to wait for awhile because some couple of climbers had passed us and it took some time for them to equip their crampons and headlights. Just after a few minutes we could start climbing as well. It was a brand new experience and so it was quite terrific to hang on in the lamplight. Whereupon started to dawn and the twilight dissolved, crossed several climbers who had already sloped back to the hut. They were mostly climbers without crampons and very soon we had to face why they had to turn back. The terrain got more and more icy, the remains of the snowing from a week before did the advance more difficult. From time to time mops of fog pitched over us and in our dead reckoning at east 15-20 people turned back to the valley.
Frog s viewFrog's view



The Big StaircaseThe Big Staircase
Before snowing-view from the Solvay-bivac Before snowing-view from the Solvay-bivac



BeautifulBeautiful
Above the cloudsAbove the clouds



View from the Solvay-bivacView from the Solvay-bivac
Clouds and lightsClouds and lights



Another 472 m-s to climb-the summit from the Solvay-bivacAnother 472 m-s to climb-the summit from the Solvay-bivac
The way down from the Solvay-bivac-winter conditionsThe way down from the Solvay-bivac - winter conditions

Early in the afternoon we reached the Solvay-hut, which was totally empty and then we formulated the idea that we could be alone on the mountain. It quite late to go further, we didn’t feel too good because of the high altitude, so adjudicated for ourselves a whole afternoon rest. The plan was to sleep in the house and next day we would try to reach the top. Our suspicion won verification, that afternoon nobody else came down to the valley. Early in the morning we went for the almost 500 m level and as it turned out later, we got lost right at the start. Immediately behind the hut we would have to look for the starting point, contrarily we diverged too much from the ridge to left and instead of bolts we had to belay in some threadbare rope rings. The initial favorable weather conditions declined fast, the eyeshot reduced to a few 10 meters. About the route we only knew that we had to keep as close is possible to the ridge. At the shoulder on the snow-field the wind was as a mad dog, in only some moments remained nothing of our trace. Then we reached the second fixed rope and here became totally clear that we will not hit the summit. The rope was covered by thick ice and just after an attempt we realized that it is impossible to advance even centimeters, not five or six meters.
After a short hesitation started the way down. We squandered vast of time with the permanent reset of the rope, because of the unpleasant lie of the land typical for this mountain the rope we dropped down always did foul and we couldn’t set it free. Then we realized that we run out of time in a very nastily way. During daytime visibility was changing from the minute to the other, but suddenly dawned on that this time after the clouding won’t be lighter again, for the sun was hidden not behind a running cloud, but the horizon, with other words, the evening came over our neck. Less the half-way until to the Solvay-hütte climbed in dark, while the snowing became more and more harder. We advanced so slowly, that sometimes we thought that we left the hütte, we passed somewhere beside it. Neither was a fine feeling, that we never knew the rope would reach the next belaying ring or not. Then suddenly the house came into view, we descended almost on its roof. Only then we realized that at morning we started the climb in a totally wrong direction. Unfortunately the whole day we didn’t take a photo, were so occupied with the next step or grip and ate only some pieces of chocolate. Doing a fast inventory in the hütte, we had to acknowledge sadly that all of our riches are a few of musli bars, a half pane of chocolate and a sachet of hazelnuts. In point of drinking water we had to recline only to molten snow…In the house cutting cold, outside torrential snowing: not too lovely expectations. Luckily we found at least 10-12 horseblankets on the beds, so the chill death didn’t threaten us. However until next morning had fallen a considerable amount of snow, so for nothing started to descend from the house, we could find even after the first pitch the belaying point under the thick coat of snow. So had no other choice, we had to return to our well-known 4x4 meters accommodation. Some hard minutes followed for us, because the only one down-to-earth solution looked to be the mid-air salvage. Soon managed to hit the rescue station in Zermatt, but they said that at the moment they weren’t able to jump-off due the bad weather conditions. Early in the afternoon we got notification to gather our duds for a betterment set in circumstances, and the helicopter could be at our place in any minute. Then we could hear the noise of propellers and the chopper appeared above the valley, with rescuer hanging under it on a wire. The engine floated beyond the terrace of the house while the rescue man hooked up us on the rope. In this way we three were in the air and soon came down in the front of Hörnli-house. After we collected the stuff left there two days before, boarded this time in the helicopter’s cabin and so reached the rescue station in Zermatt. Of course they did not allowed us to leave until we paid the cost of the salvage.
On the whole we didn’t make do on badly from this trip, for though the salvage wasn’t a cheap entertainment, but fortunately subsequently the insurance company settled the bill, so the ramble flight was gratis. Thanks a lot for it!!! :o) Certainly it should be better without it and should be a fairy tale if we could choke down those last 80-100 meters to the summit…
So, we had the experience, the moral too, but next time we should recline less upon Fortuna…
See you again sometimes, Big Mountain!


Our rescue angelOur rescue angel
Inventory at the parking place in TäschInventory at the parking place in Täsch


Reggel ismét vonattal kezdtük a napot (szerencsére az állomás nem volt messze, ezért hamarosan betéve tudtunk az utat, főleg, hogy a szükségünket elvégezni is a vonatállomás mosdójába jártunk :o), majd ezt követően ismét sílift következett, a Schwarzsee paradise végállomásig, ami már megint majd 2.600 m magasan fekszik. Nagy zsákkal és nagy kedvvel ugrottunk neki a Hörnli hütté-ig ránk váró kb 750 m szintnek. Az idő még mindig gyönyörű, a kilátás pazar, előttünk a nagy Hegy, jobbra tőlünk a Monte Rosa szebbnél szebb csúcsai, a Dufourspitze-től a Lyskamm-on át a Breithorn-ig. Szépen haladtunk, kora délutánra fent is voltunk a Hörnlinél. Nagy tömeg nem volt, becsekkolás után hanyatt vetettük magunkat a napon és a fölénk tornyosuló piramissal szemezgettünk és próbáltuk lelkileg kondicionálni magunkat a másnapi előttünk álló feladatra. Korán nyugovóra tértünk, mivel másnap nagyon hajnalban kellett kelni. A nagy izgalmak ellenére elég jól aludtunk, a csöngőt nem kellett megvárni, mert a lágerben alvók mind ugyanoda készültek, mint mi és volt aki korábban szándékozott indulni. Gyors öltözködés és még egy leltár a felszerelésről, ami nem kellett, azt a hallban hagytuk egy-egy rekeszben, lopástól nem kellett tartani, egyik mászó nem lopja meg a másikat. A meteorológiai szolgálat közlése szerint aznap és másnap mászásra alkalmas idő volt várható, amit előző este a hütte személyzete is megerősített. Hajnali három után már úton voltunk a beszálló felé, amit hamarosan el is értünk. Itt egy kicsit várnunk kellett, néhány parti beelőzött és eltartott, amíg a lámpákat, hágóvasakat beüzemelték. Hamarosan már mi is másztunk, teljesen új tapasztalat és ezért elég félelmetes volt lámpafénynél kapaszkodni felfelé. Amire virradni kezdett és eloszlott a homály, néhány parti már szembe jött velünk. Többnyire hágóvas nélküli mászókról volt szó, és hamarosan mi is szembesültünk vele, miért vágtak hátraarcot. A terep egyre jegesebb lett, az egy héttel korábbi havazás maradványai egyre nehezebbé tették az előre-jutást. Időnként köd-pamacsok is ránk ereszkedtek, és számításaink szerint már legalább 15-20 ember jött velünk szembe lefelé a hegyről. Ekkor már kezdtük gyanítani, hogy nem sokan maradhattunk a próbálkozók közül. Kora délután értünk fel a Solvay menedékházhoz, ami teljesen üres volt. Elég későre járt már, a hegyi betegség is ránk ült egy kicsit, ezért úgy döntöttünk, aznap már nem megyünk tovább, megalszunk a házban, és másnap indulunk a csúcs-támadásra. Gyanúnk beigazolódott, aznap már senki nem jött lefelé, tehát egyedül voltunk a hegyen. Kora reggel ugrottunk neki a még hátralevő majdnem 500 m szint leküzdésének, és mint utóbb kiderült, mindjárt az elején el is kavartunk. Rögtön a ház mögött kellett volna keresnünk a beszállót, ezzel szembe mi eléggé eltávolodtunk balra a gerinctől és nittek helyett holmi elég foszlott kötél-karikákba biztosítottunk. A reggeli kedvező körülmények gyorsan romlottak, a látótávolság pár 10 méterre csökkent. Az útról csak annyit tudtunk, hogy minél közelebb kell maradnunk a gerinchez. A vállnál a hómezőn már veszettül fújt a szél, pillanat alatt a nyomunknak hűlt helye maradt csak. Aztán elértük a második fix kötelet és itt világossá vált, hogy aznap már érünk fel a tetőre (mint utóbb kiderült, megint csak szerencsénkre). A kötélre vastagon ráfagyott a jég, nemhogy több métert, de centiket sem lehetett rajta mászni. Rövid tanakodás után elindultunk lefelé. Rengeteg időt elpazaroltunk a kötél folytonos átszedésével, mert a hegyre jellemző kellemetlen terepviszonyok és a gerinctartás miatt a ledobott kötél folyton felakadt, beakadt, kiszabadítani pedig nem tudtuk, hiába rángattuk, dobáltuk, csak az átszedés, áthúzás maradt megoldásnak. Aztán rájöttünk, hogy csúnyán kifutottunk az időből. Napközben folyton változtak a fényviszonyok, de akkor rádöbbentünk, hogy ezúttal a beborulás után nem lesz újra világosabb, mert a napot most már nem egy felhő, hanem a láthatár takarhatta el, azaz nyakunkon volt az este. A Solvay-házig az út legalább felét sötétben másztuk meg, és közben egyre jobban rákezdett a havazás. Annyira lassan haladtunk, hogy adott pillanatban azon kezdtünk parázni, hogy talán már régen elhagytuk a házat, elmentünk mellette. Az sem volt jó érzés, hogy sosem tudhattuk, hogy a kötél leér-e a következő biztosító-gyűrűig. Aztán egyszer csak ott volt a ház alattunk, szinte a tetejére ereszkedtünk rá, ekkor jöttünk csak rá, hogy reggel teljesen rossz irányba indultunk el. Sajnos egész nap egy db fényképet nem csináltunk, annyira el voltunk foglalva a következő lépéssel, fogással. Enni is csak néhány kocka csokoládét fogyasztottunk. A házban gyors leltárral kiderült, hogy ennek ellenére elég csehül állunk, pár müzli-szelet, fél tábla csoki meg egy zacskó mogyoró volt az össz vagyonunk. Ivóvíz gyanánt jószerével csak a hóra hagyatkozhattunk. A házban metsző hideg, kint szakadó hó: nem túl szép kilátások. Szerencsére fejenként legalább öt darab lópokróc jutott, a fagyhalál így nem fenyegetett. Reggelig azonban elég szép mennyiségű hó esett, ezért hiába indultunk neki lefelé a háztól, már az első kötélhossz ereszkedés után sem találtuk meg a biztosítópontot a vastag hó alatt. Más választásunk nem maradt, vissza kellett mászni házba. Némi lelki gyötrődés után úgy döntöttünk, hogy az egyetlen reális megoldásként a épségben lejutáshoz a helikopteres mentés maradt. Hamarosan sikerült telefonon a Zermatt-i mentőállomást elérni, elsőre azonban nem sok jóval kecsegtettek, azt mondták, hogy a gép jelenleg az időjárási viszonyok miatt nem tud felszállni. Később szerencsére javulás állt be és értesítést kaptunk, hogy kapjuk össze magunkat, mert bármikor ott lehet értünk a mentés. Nemsokára hallottuk is a propellerek zaját és megjelent a völgy felett a helikopter, alatta egy dróton csüngve a hegyi-mentő. A gép a ház felett lebegett, amíg a mentő a ház előtti placcon minket is ráakasztott a drótra. Immár hárman egy kupacban lógva pár perc alatt a Hörnli teraszán találtuk magunkat. Itt a gép is leszállt, mi pedig összeszedtük a hüttében hagyott cókmókunkat és most már a gép fülkéjében utazva rárepültünk Zermattra. Az állomáson persze addig nem engedtek el, amíg a mentés költségét helyben át nem utaltuk nekik.
Összességében nem jöttünk ki rosszul a kirándulásból, mert ugyan a mentés nem volt olcsó mulatság, de szerencsére a biztosító utólag rendezte a cehhet, így a helikopteres sétarepülés végül is ingyen volt. Köszönjük szépen :o) Persze jobb lett volna nélküle és ha azt a hátralevő 80-100 métert is sikerül legyűrni. A tapasztalat megvolt, a tanulság is, szerencsésen megúsztuk, legközelebb viszont már kevesebbet kellene Fortunára hagyatkozni…Viszlát, valamikor, Nagy Hegy!


Comments

No comments posted yet.