Moore's Wall Trail

Moore's Wall Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take the Hanging Rock State Park Road down to the swimming lake. The trail starts behind the batthouse/pavilion.

Route Description


The Cook's Wall Trail ascends Moore's Knob and descends back to the starting point in 4.2 miles. The trail is just a basic hike-up with mainly gradual elevation gain for the first portion, but some steep climbing toward the middle (summit). Total elevation gain is about 900 feet. This is one of the most claustrophobic trails I've encountered in quite some time, with variuos shrubs and undergrowth all but crowding out the trail along much of the way. One needs to pay attention to the trail markers and take care not to stray off the trail, since there are literally dozens of false leads along the way created by hikers looking for overlooks as one achieves the summit ridge. On my hike, I actually did follow one of these false trails that ended up dropping straight down a series of short walls before I realized I was on the wrong track. I had to reclimb the ridge and locate the trail markers.

Keep an eye out for snakes. Most of this trail is prime snake habitat: mainly rattlesnakes along the ridges and copperheads in the bottoms. I encountered one medium-sized copperhead as I was finsihing up the hike. Almost stepped on her, but no big deal. I just waited until she slithered off.

Essential Gear


Take plenty of water, especially in warm weather. I hiked up in early summer and by the time I'd done the Moore's Wall Trail and the Cook's Wall Trail, I had consumed three quarts of water, and could have used more. A hiking staff would be a good choice of gear, also.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.