Moosilauke Carriage Road / Snapper Trail

Moosilauke Carriage Road / Snapper Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.01120°N / 71.8409°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route is a very popular one up South Peak's higher neighbor to the north, Mt. Moosilauke. Just as well though, this is probably the easiest route to the summit of South Peak as well. The Carriage Road was built in the mid 1800s and as you ascend you will wonder how anyone ever got a carriage up here. This route heads up a steep boulder strewn lane that starts at Breezy Point. The most common way to utilize this trail is via the Snapper Trail from the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge. This route is a little more scenic and also quite a bit shorter which is why many people opt for the Snapper/Carriage route instead.

The route starts off by climbing through some beautiful mid-elevation forests over fairly easy terrain. These are some of the most beautiful forests anywhere in the world as my personal opinion. There are beautiful mosses and ferns draped all over the forest floor and gorgeous gigantic pines everywhere you look. After you reach the Carriage Road, its all uphill from there.

This next segment of the trip is the steepest although its not even close to as bad as some of the other trails in the Whites. This route is short and that's what makes the climbing not so bad. After about one mile you'll start getting views up Moosilauke and South Peak if you haven't already. All this time though you were taking in the views east towards the Franconia and Presidential Ranges. At 1.2 miles the South Peak Spur Trail heads south and the Glencliff Trail joins from the west.

From here it is another 0.2 miles to the summit of South Peak. The ledgy and open summit affords excellent views up to Moosilauke, into Vermont, and to many other spots of the White Mountains. Save your energy though if you plan on doing Moosilauke. You're not far, but when you're tired 0.7 miles can be a long way. South Peak is a good place for some great views and a breather. If you do just South Peak and descend the way you came up, the round-trip mileage will be 5.8 miles with nearly 2,000 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, snacks/water, trekking poles, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.