Viewing: 1-20 of 34 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Dave KUntitled Comment

Dave K

I just love pages about remote areas. I've viewed this range from a distance wondering what it is like. Nice job Dean, thanks for posting it.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 2:38 pm

MrWasatchUntitled Comment

MrWasatch

Another well done page!
Posted Jul 13, 2005 3:12 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Mick. I was surprised that no one had put up this mountain since the Henry's are such a neat range.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 3:50 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Excellent work on adding this remote mountain. Perhaps you should add Mt. Pennell when you get a chance.

I have one suggestion. The route is pretty short. It appears that you can explore the mountain for more than a couple miles, am I correct? Maybe there are some alternatives to just a short hike?
Posted Jul 13, 2005 3:59 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

The route is short and I'll add some more information about the area south of Bull Creek Pass so that all of the Mt. Ellen massif is covered. Ellen Peak is a very worthy goal in and of itself as well as South Ellen Peak. This is a great area. I can't add Mt. Pennell since I didn't climb it but hopefully someone else will be able to do that. Mike Kelsey covers it in his Utah Mountaineering book somewhat. Thanks a bunch for the vote and your constructive comments. I appreciate them. More will be forthcoming on this page as I continue to add to it.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 4:06 pm

mountaingazelleUntitled Comment

mountaingazelle

Good page, Dean. I thought the Henrys were a neat mountain range after seeing them for the first time this year. I would also like to climb Ellen and the other peaks such as Pennell and Hillers.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 4:07 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Melinda. Yes, I'd love to go back and get all of these peaks. Pennell, Hillers, Holmes and Ellsworth are all magnetic to me. I'd also like to climb Ellen Peak, the conical one that you see to the left side of your pic. So many mountains, so little time. : )
Posted Jul 13, 2005 4:09 pm

Joseph BulloughUntitled Comment

Joseph Bullough

Great job Dean. I've seen this peak many times on trips to Southern Utah. Thought about climbing it but there are so many things to see down there.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 4:22 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Joseph. We could see the snow that we walked on from the Hite Marina area later in the day. Those roads up there are the pits around Pennell as there was a fire a couple years ago that messed the roads up pretty good. We made our way ok but thanks to high clearance and 4wd as we headed from Pennellen Pass to the Trachyte ranch. I'd love to go back and get them all. You are right about one thing, there are so many other things to do in your great state.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 4:30 pm

nartrebUntitled Comment

nartreb

An excellent page.

Posted Jul 13, 2005 4:54 pm

naderUntitled Comment

nader

Great page.

I can understand why they were the last mountains that were mapped. Like so many others, I have seen these mountains while travelling in Utah and have wondered what it would be like to climb them. Thanks for the info & the pics.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 5:39 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Nader for the comments and the vote. The Henry's are a fascinating area but then, most of Utah is. I've got to get back there and explore more. Land's End for instance, accessed via the Flint Trail (road) is one I'd like to check out as well as the Maze (featured in the recent Backpacker Magazine) Utah is just a treasure trove of stuff. The Arches area and La Sal's are all calling me back.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 6:15 pm

cmc56789Untitled Comment

cmc56789

as usual....NIce page!
Posted Jul 13, 2005 6:39 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

As a geology student, you'd love these mountains. My son in law, who went with me, is a huge geology buff (has his rock hammer) and loves this part of Utah. He was a geology major for three years before he shifted to engineering but his heart is still in geology. As he explained the forces that created the Henry mountain range, I could feel more closely the geologic history that impacts all of us. Thanks so much for the vote and the comments. Stay the course, geology rocks. : )
Posted Jul 13, 2005 6:48 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

I'll add a few pics.
Posted Jul 13, 2005 8:28 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Just as I thought I was caught up I discovered a few things that I had missed. One of which was your vote on this page. Thanks Scott, a little belated on my part, but appreciated none the less.
Posted Oct 31, 2005 5:00 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Thanks for doing this one, Dean!
Posted Jul 13, 2005 10:54 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Aaron. I really enjoyed a great trip through Utah last week. Mt Peale, Mt. Waas, and Mt. Ellen were the highlights and a visit to Arches and the Burr Trail were some frosting on the cake. A neat state with lots to do.
Posted Jul 14, 2005 12:32 am

IdahoKidUntitled Comment

IdahoKid

Good page Dean!

Sean
Posted Jul 13, 2005 11:08 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Sean. Your vote is always appreciated. I hope to get to Idaho later this summer and chase some of those neat Idaho peaks you are putting up.
Posted Jul 14, 2005 12:33 am