Mount Wilcox Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 37
12
BKiser90

BKiser90 - Sep 24, 2023 2:48 pm Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2023

From Silver Dollar Lake  Sucess!

Up from Silver Dollar Lake TH. Took the ramp up from Murray Lake to the saddle between Wilcox and Argentine. Easy ascent from there to the summit. Beautiful fall day with snow on the north slopes of Square Top and fall colors lower in Guanella Pass.

JesseSumrak

JesseSumrak - Jul 31, 2021 12:05 pm Date Climbed: Jul 30, 2021

Edwards, McClellan, Argentine, Wilcox Linkup  Sucess!

Rough 4WD road up to the Mine in the dark, but not hiccups along the way. Got a quick start up the mountain to Edwards, then stuck, close to the ridgeline to get McClellan. No easy path back to Edwards, so I cut across the basin towards a glacier and made way up the south side of that to rejoin the "trail" back to the saddle between Edwards and Argentine. Followed some mountain goats up to Argentine (though, the path they chose to follow was harder than mine). From there, the cloud were looking a little scary, but weather reports told me I had a few more hours. I picked up the pace and crossed the gap over to Wilcox. Stick close to the ridgeline—there's remnants of a social trail there that will protect your ankles a bit more and protect the tundra. Summitted Wilcox and booked it back to the saddle to then follow a social trail down into the basin. However, the trail disappeared and I had to bushwhack back to the road to follow it back to the mine. If using my GPS to do the same, I recommend almost always sticking to the ridgeline between these mountains. Whenever I strayed away, I found myself coming back.

Woodie Hopper

Woodie Hopper - Sep 6, 2020 10:23 pm Date Climbed: Sep 6, 2020

From Argentine  Sucess!

Quick summit from Argentine. Descended a little above the saddle back toward Argentine for a loop to the car at the Wilcox Mine.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Feb 15, 2020 7:22 pm Date Climbed: Feb 14, 2020

windy day  Sucess!

From Naylor TH (end of plowed section of Guanella Pass Rd.), with Otter.

rmjwinters

rmjwinters - Aug 29, 2015 6:53 pm Date Climbed: Aug 28, 2015

From Naylor Lake TH  Sucess!

Nice 5 mile loop with good views

BradBartick

BradBartick - Apr 12, 2015 7:49 pm Date Climbed: Apr 11, 2015

Nice early spring day  Sucess!

With Michelle . Easy haul up east ridge from GP CG. Interesting weather. High wind and almost constant flurries on the ascent with ever-decreasing visibility. Descent had bluer skies. Naylor lake completely frozen.

nickkarl

nickkarl - Jul 5, 2014 9:16 pm Date Climbed: Jun 21, 2014

Silver Dollar Lake  Sucess!

Great loop hike from Silver Dollar Lake TH with Cole and Jenny. http://www.coloradoascents.blogspot.com/2014/06/mount-wilcox.html

telemarkdude

telemarkdude - Jun 28, 2014 11:01 pm Date Climbed: Jun 28, 2014

From Otter/Wilcox Drainage  Sucess!

Went up the Otter/Wilcox drainage to avoid the private property near Naylor Lake. Some of the worst deadfall and worst willows I've ever encountered. Glad this was a loop and didn't have to come back this way!

Peakbug

Peakbug - Jul 7, 2013 6:23 pm Date Climbed: Jun 16, 2013

Wilcox #29  Sucess!

Followed by Otter.

rkymtn

rkymtn - Jun 17, 2013 3:07 pm Date Climbed: Jun 16, 2013

Silver Dollar Lake Trailhead  Sucess!

Climbed up the SE ridge with my wife before heading over to Otter. We were surprised at the ease of this climb. We enjoyed views of Argentine, Square Top, Bierstadt, and Evans from the summit.

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jan 5, 2013 11:21 pm Date Climbed: Jan 5, 2013

Snowshoes  Sucess!

With MountainHikerette & Snowball from Naylor Lake TH. Needed floatation to get through the willows.

fox045

fox045 - Dec 3, 2012 10:45 pm Date Climbed: Nov 26, 2012

Big Day  Sucess!

From winter road closure. Square Top, Argentine, and Wilcox. Cold

Berger

Berger - Nov 26, 2012 8:44 pm Date Climbed: Nov 26, 2012

From the Winter Closure

With Rhett. Started at the road closure, summited Square Top, Argentine and Wilcox. We finished coming down the Silver Dollar Lake Rd. Made for a nice cirque.

milan - Oct 24, 2012 4:57 pm Date Climbed: Apr 21, 2012

Sunset  Sucess!

This was a great trip. Started at Naylor Lake, hiked up to the ridge to the Squaretop, Argentine, then continued a very loong ridge to Edwards, went back to Argentine and finished on Wilcox. It got dark when I got back to the forest around Naylor Lake and there was mess of fallen trees and deep snow. Lots of postholing!! There was a very strong gusty wind on the summit of Square top that I could not stand, I'd say about 50 - 70 mph. It got better later.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Jul 15, 2012 7:50 pm Date Climbed: Jul 15, 2012

Nice!  Sucess!

With Argentine.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Apr 29, 2012 8:35 pm Date Climbed: Apr 29, 2011

With Argentine Pk.  Sucess!

Climbed Wilcox up eastern slopes above Naylor lake. Descended to saddle and then climbed Argentine.

DerekFreed

DerekFreed - Mar 30, 2012 8:42 pm Date Climbed: Aug 11, 2008

With Argentine  Sucess!

From Silver Dollar TH. Nice combo hike in a continuous misty rain all morning. Change of pace from normal CO morning hiking!

theREALCarpeDM

theREALCarpeDM - Mar 24, 2012 11:29 pm Date Climbed: Mar 24, 2012

Wilcox-Argentine-Square Top loop  Sucess!

Looped these three from the Guanella closure. Went with Mike Smith, Mark Wilson, and Okie.

BLong

BLong - Feb 26, 2012 10:47 pm Date Climbed: Feb 25, 2012

Fun hike with skis :)  Sucess!

I enjoyed hiking up Mt Wilcox with skis in spring conditions. The mountain was wind-swept on most aspects with layered wind-deposited slabs on east-facing slopes. We got a few turns in on crusty snow before enjoying being blown across the frozen Naylor Lake on our skis. The ski out via the snowshoe track was probably the most fun of the day. A good 6-hour outing.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Oct 16, 2011 5:13 pm Date Climbed: Oct 16, 2011

Otter and Wilcox  Sucess!

Climbed with Darin from the parking area for Silver Dollar Lake, we also made the traverse over to Wilcox. Surprisingly dry given the recent snow storm a week ago, but windy on the summit (maybe that's where the snow went?). Good short fall hike, just under 6 miles RT for the pair!

Viewing: 1-20 of 37
12
Return to 'Mount Wilcox' main page