Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.39115°N / 112.01942°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10323 ft / 3146 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Langdon Mountain is the southernmost peak of the Northern Sevier Plateau to rise above 10,000 feet. It offers incredible views of Grass Valley to the east and the Southern Sevier Plateau.

Getting There

From Koosharem, drive south 5.4 miles and take a right onto Lower Box Creek Rd. There’s a forest access sign at the turn-off. Take this road for 8.5 miles just past a really sharp switchback and turn left onto Forest Road 068, which is still technically Lower Box Creek Road. Stay on this road as it skirts the west side of Upper Box Creek Reservoir. At approximately 7.9 miles past the bridge over Box Creek, turn left onto Forest Road 082 and drive east as far as you can go. The path may be block by downed trees.

Route

Follow the dirt road east as it turns north. It peters out near the treeline and becomes impassable to vehicles with pits and mounds that still allow for foot travel. It passes a downed fence as it turns more toward the northwest. The summit is at 10 o'clock from there and a beeline line walk straight to it among the sagebrush.

Round-trip Distance: 1.6 miles

Elevation Gain: 390 feet

Red Tape

No reservations or perits required. Please practice Leave No Trace ethics.

When to Climb

Spring through fall are the best periods. Winter would require significant winter travel plans given the distance between the peak and any plowed roads.

Camping

There are some primitive campsites all along the approach roads.

Closest campgrounds are the Koosharem Campground a couple miles west of the town of Koosharem up Koosharem Canyon Road. There's also an RV park in Koosharem. Lastly, there are 50 sites at Otter Creek State Park.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sevier PlateauMountains & Rocks