Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.10945°N / 116.85003°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 10696 ft / 3260 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the twenty-one Southern California named peaks (south of the Sierra Nevada). Located in the San Bernardino Mountain Range within proximity to several of the other 10K+ peaks. It is approximately .5 mile walk accross the saddle from Charlton Peak. It's about a ten mile hike from the South Fork trailhead and about 3,800 ft. of vertical gain. Little Charlton Peak is often climbed as part of the "nine peaks" link up, which requires about 30 miles of hiking.

Getting There

The drive:
Exit Interstate 10 at Orange street (hwy.38) in the city of Redlands (about 70 miles east of L.A.). Go past Angeles Oaks about 6 miles and turn right on Jenks Lake west Road. The parking lot for the South Fork trailhead is on the left, about 3 miles.

The hike:
Take the South Fork trail (IE04)7.5 miles to Dollar Lake Saddle at 10,000 ft. Turn left on the Summit Ridge Trail (WE07) and go about 1.7 miles to the saddle at Dry Lake View. From the saddle go up the south ridge of Little Charlton to the peak.

Red Tape

Wilderness permits are required for overnight and day use.
The National Forest Adventure Pass is required for vehicles parked at the trailhead.
Obtain Passes and Permits at:

Mill Creek Ranger Station
34701 Mill Creel Road
Mentone, Ca. 92359

Adventure Pass information

When to Climb

This peak can be climbed year round. Snow usually starts around late January. It can get pretty sunny and hot in the summer, so many prefer fall or spring.

Camping

There are two campgrounds near the trailhead offering car camping:
Barton Flats and San Gorgonio. Both have tap water, payphone, restrooms, and showers. $15.00 per night. Both campgrounds are on hwy 38 a few miles east of Jenks lake west road.
USFS camping info

External Links

Peakbagger.com
San Gorgonio Wilderness Association
USFS Conditions

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

pwagenet - Aug 12, 2012 5:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Wrong Coordinates

These coordinates are not even in the right area. According to Google Earth and http://www.mountainsmounts.com/mountain/6027/little-charlton-peak/ they should be 34.1094553 N, 116.8500244 W

T. White

T. White - Jan 27, 2024 10:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wrong Coordinates

Fixed!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.