Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.29130°N / 116.9706°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 7621 ft / 2323 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Big Bear Lake



Little Bear Peak is indeed a very little peak. It derives it's name from Little Bear Valley which is just west of Big Bear Valley. Little Bear Peak is on the Sierra Clubs Hundred Peaks Section list. Little Bear Peak is a short hike that can be combined with hikes to other Hundred Peak listed summits. Some of this peaks are, Butler Peak, Grays Peak, Delamar Mountain, Arctic Point, Crafts Peak, Bertha Peak, and Gold Mountain. Little Bear has outstanding views of Big Bear Lake and of the surrounding mountain country. It also has a great view of Mount San Antonio and the other high eastern San Gabriel peaks. Little Bear Peak would be a great mountain bike ride from the little town Fawnskin.

Getting There

Take the 215 Freeway through San Bernardino to SR 30. Drive east on SR 30 to the junction with SR 330. Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 in Running Springs taking SR 18 all the way to the Big Bear Lake Dam. At the dam take SR 38 on the left to Fawnskin. As you enter Fawnskin tunr left onto 3N14 and drive for 1.3 miles, the road turns to dirt after about .5 miles. Reach the junction with 3N12 on the right, take this. Continue on this for a little over 1.5 miles ignoring any forks. At the 2N84 fork turn left and continue for less then .25 miles reaching a fork at a small campground area. Turn left on 2N84A and drive a little less then half mile parking at a turnout just before the road becomes four drive territory. Park here.

Route




From the parking spot continue up the road as it roller coasters up to a ridge leading out to the summit rocks of Little Bear Peak.

Round trip is little over a mile with 200-400 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass for parking at the turnout.

External Links

For camping information and current conditions go to the San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions website.

Little Bear Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List.

For more information on mountain biking in the Big Bear area check adventurehostel.com.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jun 26, 2008 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

No longer closed

The roads accessing Little Bear are no longer closed. The main page should be updated.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Jun 26, 2008 7:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: No longer closed

Thanks Bob! I was just up in the area today. So much damage but good alternate routes now open. The ridge from Crafts to Butler would be pretty good right now.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jun 27, 2008 6:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: No longer closed

Yeah, I was thinking about that ridge as well. It was going to be a long walk from Grays, so I'll wait til the road is reopened to Butler.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3