Mt. Ellinor Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 118
yadahzoemtn

yadahzoemtn - Mar 3, 2024 12:46 pm Date Climbed: Aug 7, 2008

With two wonderful friends  Sucess!

Flew out from Upstate New York to accompany Kevin and Jody on this one. Great day

Snowslogger

Snowslogger - Dec 7, 2023 2:44 pm Date Climbed: Aug 28, 1981

Washington and Ellinor - First Climbs!  Sucess!

Went up the peaklet between Ellinor and Washington and decided to go up Washington first. One difficult spot for me (first climb and solo) but made it up OK, then back over to Ellinor and down.

katelyn.condra

katelyn.condra - Jul 3, 2022 5:06 pm Date Climbed: May 18, 2021

glissading  Sucess!

Micro spikes needed on the way up with glissading down the avalanche chute! Lovely day with friends. Lots of skiers too.

Jowzynkyn

Jowzynkyn - May 11, 2021 12:01 pm Date Climbed: May 10, 2021

Monday Mist May  Sucess!

Started at 0700, 90 minutes up via winter climbers route, only had to use my hands intermittently, no crampons/spikes. Descent in 60 minutes, the glissade from the summit to the saddle is AMAZING! The glissade from the saddle to the base however is terrifying! Certainly took that one slow, controlled pace with ice ax. Lots of morning mist over the mountains, could kind of see Mt. Washington.

iquest4it

iquest4it - Jun 18, 2020 11:21 pm Date Climbed: Jan 1, 2019

Mt. Eleanor - my favorite backyard training hill  Sucess!

This was my weekly climb to stay in shape when I lived up there for 5 years - in the summer the goats are a blast to see - in the winter it has one of the glissade chutes on earth!

K.W.Lanning - Oct 8, 2019 9:30 pm Date Climbed: Oct 5, 2019

Not a bad conditioning climb  Sucess!

Nice conditioning climb.I was out of town for a month, this climb was much needed. Overcast for the most part kept the views to a minimum, however what breaks in the clouds we got elude to some spectacular vistas.

cascadescrambler

cascadescrambler - Aug 29, 2019 11:08 am Date Climbed: Jun 14, 1975

On snow  Sucess!

Up the chute

StevenZ

StevenZ - May 8, 2019 8:29 am Date Climbed: Oct 8, 2018

Mt. Ellinor Summit, October 2018  Sucess!

Didn't see a single soul on the trail during my ascent. It was insanely foggy for about the first 1000 ft after the tree line. Cleared up for a couple minutes near the top. Then it rolled back in. There is a new(er) summit log in a plastic container under a rock at the top. Only a handful of names in it at the time.

kronshage3

kronshage3 - Apr 29, 2019 6:56 am Date Climbed: Apr 29, 2019

Winter Route  Sucess!

Was almost able to make it to the upper trailhead. There was just one large section of snow less than a quarter mile from the upper trailhead. Parked and walked up from here. Trailhead is completely dry basically until you get right below the gully for the winter route. Gully had very nice steps all the way to the top and top the summit. Everyone out there had full blown crampons and ice axe out. I thought it was absolute overkill. Went up with microspikes and poles. Ice axe was handy for the descent though. Glissade was horrendous. Super solid packed snow/ice made it impossible to slide down without going out of control. Tried to "self-arrest" my way down the chute which was a waste of time. Views were incredible. Either (1) do this one early to avoid the crowds or (2) do it late so the snow is slushy. We made summit in an hour and 15 minutes with a modest pace so don't expect much on this one unless you are the one breaking trail.

Arkitekt

Arkitekt - Oct 9, 2018 3:25 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2018

Partial Views  Sucess!

Partial views from the top. Nice hike and several Mountain Goats along the path.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Aug 10, 2018 9:15 pm Date Climbed: Apr 6, 2013

Snowy hike  Sucess!

Very snowy hike with little views as we were in a whiteout

SloJay

SloJay - Jun 26, 2018 8:41 pm Date Climbed: Mar 19, 2018

Great snow climb  Sucess!

saw lots of climbers today but we were the only ones to summit. we saw people with ice axes but no crampons, people with crampons but no ice axes, and one teenager climbing in basket ball shorts using his dad's axe from the 1970's

huskertriguy

huskertriguy - Oct 14, 2017 5:05 pm Date Climbed: Oct 13, 2017

In the Clouds  Sucess!

Parked at the Lower Trailhead; took the two pups who loved the walk.

No goats in sight at the summit. Visibility low as the clouds shrouded the summit. Ever so briefly they parted, revealing breathtaking views of the Olympics.

Just a note to watch carefully for the trail on the descent. One woman (the only person at the summit when we were there) mistakenly descended to the saddle and down from there (I believe it may be the winter route). I descended to the saddle and called to her to come back up our way so we could get her on the right path.

fekjpk24 - Jun 9, 2017 9:30 pm Date Climbed: May 26, 2017

Sunny Weather and Great Snow  Sucess!

It was a perfect day for climbing. It took us about 6 hours round trip. We started at 8:00 on the lower trailhead (plenty of parking) and simply followed the trail through the trees. About the time we broke out of the trees we found snow. The trail to the top through the snow is easy to follow, because the glissade track is so deep. There was still plenty of snow, it was fairly soft, and there were plenty of good steps already, so no crampons were needed. No crevasses on this climb and no climbing of any kind of was required. We simply hiked to the top. Great views all around from the summit and it was fairly warm standing there in the sunlight. There are two plateaus before you reach the summit. So there are three sections including a long steep section to glissade. An ice axe and a helmet are a must for the third glissade. It is steep and comes fairly close to rocks and trees. Overall a very fun climb!


ZakG

ZakG - Apr 28, 2017 11:18 pm Date Climbed: Aug 20, 1996

Goats like Salt  Sucess!

With my dad. The goats came up and started licking the salt off his legs. Those were simpler times...

jm141302

jm141302 - Sep 11, 2016 11:03 am Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2016

Ellinor then Washington  Sucess!

Parked at the Mt.Washington TH, and went up Ellinor with my wife. We saw some goats. Hot day. We got back to the car and I went up Mt. Washington while my wife took a nap.

Tnarg

Tnarg - Jun 10, 2016 2:54 am

Twice   Sucess!

Once in the snow, once with the wildflowers in full bloom. Definitely a popular mountain, and it's obvious why. Bring a trash bag for the glissade!

jczog

jczog - Apr 3, 2016 12:50 pm Date Climbed: Apr 2, 2016

Glissade!  Sucess!

Super fun, early season hike to the top using the winter route. Glissade was really fun despite not having an ice axe.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Oct 28, 2015 2:38 pm Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2015

Ellinor  Sucess!

Great weather but most of the hike was in the clouds. Ran into mountain goats below the summit.

bellinghamclimber

bellinghamclimber - Sep 10, 2015 3:06 pm Date Climbed: Jun 4, 2015

Goat country  Sucess!

Lots of goats, but couldn't see much in pea-soup fog!

Viewing: 1-20 of 118
Return to 'Mt. Ellinor' main page