Mt Rainier from Camp Muir

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.85053°N / 121.76463°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 7, 2014
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier
DC route conditions

We left the parking lot of Paradise to Camp Muir on Friday September 5 at around 5:30 pm. Our plan was to summit Mt Rainier via DC route on Sunday Sept 7. Getting from Paradise to Camp Muir took way longer than it should have. The hike to Camp Muir was gruelling, cold, and horrible with our heavy packs. We finally arrived at the hut a little after 10 pm. Luckily we had moonlight to help guide us. The wind picked up around 8 pm and we were cold to the core and exhausted by the time we arrived at camp. We quickly set up camp and were nestled in by 11 pm and asleep.

The next morning was gorgeous and conditions were ideal. The two of us rested most of the day since the hike to Muir wore us out. We ate a large meal at 4 pm, went to sleep by 6 pm, and awoke by 11 pm for our summit bid.

The two of us started out for the summit a little after midnight, taking lots of breaks. It was cold out so we wore most of our layers and puffy coats. We quickly shed a layer when we began the climb up to Ingram Flats.

It took us about 1.5 hrs to get up above the Ingram Flats camp. Ingram Flats was calm, with a 5 mph wind. The moon was out and it was beautiful. There were a few spots where the crevasses were really large to cross. A few ladders were placed to cross the crevasses, but it wasn't too scary.

We then began the exhuasting climb up Disappointment Cleaver, and the winds started to pick up a bit. We were moving very very slow and many groups passed us, but we didn't care. We took it slow so that we wouldn't wear ourselves out. It took 2 hrs for us to get to the top of the Cleaver.

By the time we got to the top of the Cleaver, the winds had really picked up. I was starving and it was very windy and icy cold. Many of the groups that were resting, turned around due to exhaustion. It was cold and we had to get moving after a short 15 minute rest.

Okay... if you can make it to the top of the Cleaver, you will make it to the summit. The Cleaver is the worst part! As soon as we left, we got out of the wind and just climbed on snow for the rest of the climb. We enjoyed a beautiful sunrise with little to no wind, and took a lot of rest breaks.

We finally made it to the summit at around 7:45 am. We went very slow, and glad that we did. There was hardly anyone around! We spent about an hour at the top, signed the book and left.

When we headed down the mountain, the sun was blazing hot. There was no breeze and we were sweating our asses off!! No shade to rest in either. The beating hot sun really zapped our energy levels but we made it back to Camp Muir by 1 pm.

We quickly packed up our stuff and we were back at Paradise by 4:30 pm.

Comments

No comments posted yet.