Mt Whymper SE Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.95111°N / 124.16194°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Up to Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The standard and shortest route to the summit of Mt Whymper.

Runs from the top of spur C29 west up the slash and into old growth above. Class 3 bluffs lead to open, gentler angled ridge hiking to the summit.

Getting There

Follow the directions from the Island Highway to the gated Copper Canyon Main as described in the parent page.

At ~ 42 km from the gate, watch for a marked spur “C27” on the right. Lock in 4WD here. Proceed up C27 for 1.5 km and make a very sharp uphill right turn onto spur C29. Note that C29 can also be accessed directly from Copper Canyon 2.5 km beyond the C27 turn. From the C27/29 junction proceed a further 3.5 km right to the top of C29 being careful to keep right at a critical junction 2.0 km after turning on to it. Elevation at the top of C29 is 1,080 metres.

Mt Whymper Current Approach Conditions and Routes
SE Ridge; route & current approach conditions

Park at N48 56.807 W124 09.010 for the standard SE Ridge Route.

Route Description

From the parking area at the top of C29 walk up the road to about N48 56.759 W124 09.093 and pick up a flagged route through the logging slash and hike west to the old growth forest above.

Continue on the flagged route (snow) and a use-trail (dirt) heading up through the forest in a northwesterly direction. In winter or early season on snow, some will appreciate an ice axe or even crampons here. 

Mt Whymper SE Ridge Route in Winter ConditionsSE Ridge bluffs in winter
SE Ridge Route BluffsSE Ridge bluffs in spring
Mt Whymper Southeast Ridge BluffsNearing top of the bluffs
Lower SE RidgeLower SE Ridge just above the bluffs

After 10 to 15 minutes of climbing a series of bluffs bar immediately obvious progress. However, a nice Class 3 line is well flagged through them and soon brings the climber out onto the open alpine of the SE Ridge with the summit microwave tower in view.
 
SE RidgeUpper SE Ridge above the bluffs
Mt Whymper Summit in Winter Mt Whymper summit from SE Ridge in winter
Mt Whymper SE RidgeUpper SE Ridge at about the midpoint
Mt Whymper Southeast RidgeUpper SE ridge just below summit

Thereafter, simply follow the easy ridge to the top. Best done in early season on snow.

A MapSource GPS tracklog of the road approach and route is available to any reader on request. Simply email or send me a PM.

Essential Gear

Ice axe when the route is under snow and often crampons for steep, frozen snow in the old growth below the bluffs.

Weather, External Links, Red Tape, Maps etc

Refer to the parent page

Page Visitor Statistics

free counters


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.