My small mountains - Spiskie Rocks

My small mountains - Spiskie Rocks

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Small limestone sisters of Pieniny Mts.

Sunset I........
Sunset III ...

The Spiskie Rocks are small mountains, e.g. Kramnica is 688 m asl, built of limestone. They are scattered as parallel points between ranges of the Tatras and the very forested Gorce Mts., westwards from Pieniny Mts. Between two of them, Oblazowa (670 m asl) and Kramnica, a beautiful river named Bialka Tatrzanska creates a nice gorge. Their slopes are covered by xerothermic vegetation. This area is visited by rare species of eagles and other carnivorous birds.
I am preparing the Areas&Ranges page for these mountains
Misty valley...


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
yatsek

yatsek - Oct 29, 2008 7:59 am - Voted 10/10

My childhood vacation home

To Romek,

Thank you so much for this page!!! This is where I spent virtually every summer till I was 15, so did my children years later (no good pics of mine, no need anyway – yours do the place justice).

As far as the name is concerned, I find the Spiskie Rocks a good choice (I bet you're familiar with the term 'Pienine Rock Belt' but it sounds a bit too technical). However, e.g. the Slovaks might find it confusing. To me, it'll always be the Red Rocks – this is (was?) what the local folks call them. Recently I heard "Janosik's Rocks" from the holiday-makers flocking to Bia?ka from the cities (obvious aftermath of the TV serial)

This is a place full of hidden little treasures, like a resurgent spring at the foot of the north wall of Kramnica, the size of a room door. The most famous is surely the over 20,000 year old boomerang. For English-speaking people, the following websites might be worth checking out:
PHOTO and text
In the early 1970s, there were fewer people than birds of prey here. I would come (1.5 hours' walk from my place upstream; where we would bathe in the river and go kind of rafting on an inflatable air mattress) and watch peregrine falcons, once I scared off a young eagle sitting in a small tree. And the river was full of trout, the pools along the dirt roads were full of amphibians, such as Bombina variegata and the less common newt, the forest abounded with mushrooms. In a nutshell, it used to be like some parts of the nearby Gorce still are (I bet Stjepan would agree).

Cheers,

Jacek

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Oct 29, 2008 10:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: My childhood vacation home

Jacek,
by mistake I respond you below in form of the comment.
Cheers!!!
Romek

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Oct 29, 2008 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

To Jacek...

Jacek, the same pictures I remember and the same impressions I have got 27 years ago. I spent many holidays there, in Bialka Tatrzanska, with my family and my daughter Magdalena. At present I discovered this area again and I love it very much :-)
Thanks for your nice comments!!!!!!! :-)
Romek

visentin

visentin - Dec 26, 2008 3:31 am - Voted 10/10

Re: To Jacek...

Following to a discussion about the last picture added by Jacek, why not turning this page into a canyon page ? :)

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Jan 6, 2009 2:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: To Jacek...

Hello,.....
your pictures of Bialka are very good. They present real colours of this place. Do you think of canyon page??? I never saw on Bialka such a man's activity like in canyon but such a proposal is good if we think of geomorphology of the Bialka gorge.
Thanks for your comment!!!!!!! :-)
Romek

visentin

visentin - Jan 7, 2009 10:26 am - Voted 10/10

Re: To Jacek...

Yes, speaking men's activities (apart from Yatsek on his inflatable air mattress:), Bialka is not a canyon :) but your definition of geomorphology as a canyon is exactly what I thought about.
Some SPers from USA created "canyons" for less than that ! And this would allow other contributors to add othe informations about the Bialka and make it more than a simple album. What do you think ?
p.s: how about a "piwo" in Wroclaw when the temperatures will rise again over 0°C ? ;)

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: To Jacek...

Hi, Visentin!!!
An album page can also be well documented (pictures, descriptions, schemes, maps), however, it would be better to do it in the form of an area page. For me the most important there is to give more and more news on the Polish objects.
Keep well!!!!!! :-)
Romek
P.S. "A piwo" is no problem, time is the problem. Normally I finish my work ca 9:00PM, especially this month :-(((

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 28, 2009 12:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Romek ?

I'm very sorry for not seeing this album until now.

Can I please include TWO of these pictures in my "Calcium Carbonate Corner" album. Thanks ... what a historically fascinating area to behold!

No vampires, right? (Just joking - : ))))))

Viewing: 1-8 of 8


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PieninyAlbums
 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.