National Parks in Northeast Europe

National Parks in Northeast Europe

Page Type Page Type: List
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The first time in history that a federal government actually set aside scenic lands simply to protect them and to allow all people to enjoy it was in the US during the end of the 19th century. This developed into Yellowstone becoming the first official national park a few years later, in 1872. In Europe the first national parks were a set of nine parks in Sweden in 1909. Europe has approximately 359 national parks at the moment. After World War II, national parks were founded all over the world. Some countries were rather late with establishing national parks. (introduction by Lolli)

Links to other National Park pages in Europe


This page has been complied by jck (some countries that used to be here were relocated to the Central and Eastern Europe page). It is part of a bigger family, presenting Europe's National Parks on SummitPost. These sister pages are:

Belarus


There are 4 national parks in Belarus.

List of National Parks in Belarus with short description.


National Park name Location (Region)
Map of Belarus
What kind of place
Belovezhskaya PushchaBrestPrimaeval Forest- the only remaining part of the immense forest in Europe. Big oaks. Wisent- the symbol of the park. UNESCO World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve.
Braslav Lakes National Park Vitebsk Post glacial landscape: lakes, ravines and hiils. Rich in flora and fauna (rare and endangered species). Established in 1995.
Narochansky National Park Minsk Over 40 lakes including the famous Naroch Lake (surrounded by sandy beaches and forests). Very rich flora (about 900 species, some of them being endangered) and fauna. Historical site. Set up in 1999.
Pripyatsky National Park Gomel Over 30 lakes and several rivers. Floodplains with unique forests. Famous birds reserve (over 250 species).


Estonia


There are 5 national parks in Estonia:


National Park name Location (County) What kind of place
Karula National ParkSouth (Valga)Forests, lakes, bogs, fens and meadows.
Lahemaa National Park North (Harju/Lääne-Viru) First national park in the Soviet Union. Forests, coastal plain, the biggest waterfall in Estonia.
Matsalu National Park West (Lääne) Floodplains, reedbed, coastal meadows, wooded meadows and islets.
Soomaa National Park South (Pärnu/Viljandi) Land of great swamps and mighty rivers.
Vilsandi National Park South- West (Saare) Vilsandi Island, the western coast of Saaremaa and approximately 160 small islands .


Latvia


There are 3 national parks in Latvia:
Gouja National Park was founded in 1973, Ķemeri National Park in 2001 and Slitere National Park in 2000.


National Park name Location What kind of place
Gauja National Park NE from RigaPrimeval valley of the Gauja River- the biggest Devonian outcrops in Latvia – sandstone cliffs, rocks and caves.
Ķemeri National Park W from Riga Forests, rows of inland dunes and shallow lakes.
Slitere National Park Cape Kolka Coast and sea.


Lithuania


There are 5 national parks in Lithuania.
They were established in 1991, after Lithuania declared independence from the Soviet Union in 1990.

Info about National Parks from Lithuanian Touristic site (in English)


National Park name Location
Map of Lithuania
What kind of place
Aukštaitija National Park East (Ignalina dst) Vegetation: from steppe to tundra species, many rare bird and animal species.
Dzūkija National Park South (Varena dst) Natural and cultural complexes of Dainava land, cultural traditions of Dzukija.
Kuršių Nerija National Park West (Curonian Spit) The most valuable complex of Lithuanian seaside (dune ridge etc).
Trakai National Historic Park South- east (Vilnus- Trakai) An ancient Lithuanian political centre and a unique natural landscape.
Žemaitija National Park North- west (Plunge dst) System of lakes and forests.


Poland



There are 23 national parks in Poland.
The oldest one is Białowieski National Park established in 1921, the most recent: Ujście Warty National Park (2001).


National Park name Location
Map of Poland
What kind of place
Babiogórski National Park Małopolskie The second highest mountain area of Poland- Babia Góra (”the Queen of the Beskidy”). UNESCO biosphere reserve.
Białowieski National Park Podlaskie Primaeval Forest- the only remaining part of the immense forest in Europe. Big oaks. Wisent- the symbol of the park. UNESCO World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve.
Biebrza National Park Podlaskie Biebrza River Marshes. Unique species of plants and animals.
Bieszczadzki National Park Podkarpackie Bieszczady Mountains. Precious wildlife areas. Mountain meadows. Rare flora and fauna. UNESCO East Carpathian Biosphere Preserve.
Bory Tucholskie National Park Pomorskie Untouched forests. Wild Brda river. Unique animals and plants.
Drawieński National Park Zachodniopomorskie/ Lubuskie/ Wielkopolskie Drawsk Plain. Rivers, water channels, peat bogs, lakes. 210 species of mushroms.
Gorczański National Park Małopolskie Mountains (Turbacz- 1310m). Alpine and Subalpine plants. Forests. Folk architecture.
Kampinoski National Park Mazowieckie Kampinos Wilderness. Sand dunes and swamp lands. 1245 species of plants. 16000 species of animals (an elk- the symbol of the park). UNSECO biosphere reserve.
Karkonoski National Park DolnoŚlaskie Mountains-Karkonosze (Snezka- the highest peak), entails lakes in post-glacial depressions, steep cliffs, lively streams forming numerous cascades and waterfalls, and sub-crown plateaux. UNESCO biosphere reserve.
Magurski National Park Małopolskie/Podkarpackie Beskid Niski mountains (Watkowa- 847 m). Geological curiosities. Wisloka river ravines. Forests.
Narwiański National Park Podlaskie Swampy area in the upper part of Narew river. Rushes, meadows, forests. 179 species of birds.
Ojcowski National Park Małopolskie Karst area. Limestone cliffs, ravines, and over 400 caves (the biggest- Lokietko cave). Rock formations (Hercules' club- 25 m).
Pieniński National Park Małopolskie Mountains- Pieniny, Dunajec Gorge, rare plants and animals.
Poleski National Park Lubelskie Former peat-bogs preserves. Tundra-like flora- characteristic of Russian Siberia.
Roztoczański National Park Lubelskie A picturesque Roztocze Środkowe Region (upper Wieprz river valley). Unique tree formations. Interesting fauna.
Słowiński National Park Pomorskie Sand dunes "on the move" (up to 30 meters high). Three big lakes: Lebsko (third biggest in Poland), Gardno and Dolgie Wielkie. UNESCO biosphere reserve.
Stołowe Mountains National Park DolnoŚlaskie Unique shape of mountains- sophisticated system of corridors which creates rock labyrinths. Notable rock formations.
Świętokrzyski National Park Świętokrzyskie The highest ridge of the Holy Cross Mountains- the oldes mountains in Poland. Forests. Benedict Abbey on the Holy Cross peak.
Tatrzański National Park Małopolskie Mountains- the highest part of Carpathian Mountains. Two parts of Tatry in Poland: Vysoke Tatry and Zapadne Tatry . UNESCO biosphere reserve.
Ujście Warty National Park Lubuskie Lies in the delta of twi great Polish rivers: Warta and Odra. The most important regions of birds’ lairs in Poland. Heterogeneus plant life.
Wielkopolski National Park Wielkopolskie Small lakes and tunnel valleys. Huge rocks. Over three thousand animal species.
Wigierski National Park Podlaskie Mazurskie Lakeland and Augustow Wilderness. Lakes, forests. Rare flora (beech trees) and fauna (32 species of fish).
Woliński National Park Zachodniopomorskie Wolin Island- the biggest Polish island. Sea cliffs. Forests, rare fauna (an eagle- the symbol of the park).




There are also plans to establish three new national parks:
Jurajski National Park- near the city of Cracow
Mazurski National Park- Mazurian Lake District
Turnicki National Park- little bit north from Bieszczadzki National Park


Russia (European Part)


currently under construction...

There are 36 National Parks in Russia, 27 of which lie clearly on the territory of the European continent.


National Park name Location What kind of place
Alaniya 1998; North Osetia in the Caucasus Description
Bashkiriya 1986; Bashkortostan Description
Chavash Varmane 1993; Chuvashia Description
Kalevalsky 2006; Karelia Description
Kenozersky 1991; Arkhangelsk area Description
Khvalynsky 1994; Saratov Oblast' Description
Kurshskaya Kosa 1987; Kaliningrad Oblast' Description
Losiny Ostrov 1983; Moscow Description
Marii Chodra 1985; Zvenigovsky District Description
Meshchora 1992; Vladimir Oblast' Description
Meshchorsky 1992; Ryazan' Oblast' Description
Nechkinsky 1997; Udmurt Republic Description
Nizhnyaya Kama 1991; Tatarstan Description
Orlovskoye Polesye 1994; Orlovskaya Oblast' Description
Paanayarvi 1992; Karelia Description
Pleshcheevo Ozero 1988; Yaroslavl' Oblast' Description
Prielbrusye 1986; Kabardino-Balkaria in the Caucasus Description
Russky Sever 1992; Vologodskaya Oblast' Description
Samarskaya Luka 1984; Samarskaya Oblast' Description
Sebezhsky 1996; Pskov Oblast' Description
Smolenskoye Poozerye 1992; Smolensk Oblast' Description
Smolny 1995; Mordovia Description
Sochinsky 1983; Krasnodar Kray Description
Ugra 1997; Kaluga area Description
Valdaysky 1990; Novgorod Oblast' Description
Vodlozersky 1991; Karelia Description
Yugyd Va National Park 1994; Komi Republic Description


The following National Parks are located in the Ural Mountains, a border between Europe and Asia:


Pripyshminskiye Bory ??? 1993; Sverdlovsk Oblast' on the Urals Description
Taganay ??? 1991; Chelyabinsk Oblast' Description
Zyuratkul' ??? 1993; Chelyabinsk Oblast' Description

External Links


List of protected areas on parks.it:



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.