National Parks in Northwest Europe

Belgium/England/Germany/Ireland/Luxembourg/Netherlands/Northern Ireland/Scotland/Wales, Europe
Page Type Page Type: List
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The first time in history that a federal government actually set aside scenic lands simply to protect them and to allow all people to enjoy it was in the US during the end of the 19th century. This developed into Yellowstone becoming the first official national park a few years later, in 1872. In Europe the first national parks were a set of nine parks in Sweden in 1909. Europe has approximately 359 national parks at the moment. After World War II, national parks were founded all over the world. Some countries were rather late with establishing national parks. In France the Vanoise National Park in the Alps was the first national park, created in 1963 after public mobilization against a touristic project.

Links to other National Park pages in Europe


NPs of Central and Eastern Europe
NPs of West Europe
NPs of North Europe
NPs of Northeast Europe

Ireland




National Park name Climate/location. What kind of place.
Burren xxxxx Mountains.
Glenveagh xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx.
Connemara xxxxx Mountains and horses.
Ballycroy xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx.
Killarney xxxxx Mxxxxxx.
Wicklow Mountains xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx.

UK overview

National parks in England, Wales and Scotland are quite different from those in many other countries. In the United Kingdom, none of parks are wilderness areas owned by the government. Designation as a national park can include substantial settlements and land uses which are often integral parts of the landscape, and land within a national park remains largely in private ownership.
National Parks in England, Wales and Scotland

Wales



There are 3 national parks in Wales.

National Park name Climate/location. What kind of place.
Snowdonia/Eryri Rainy, maritime climate. Mountains, wooded valleys, rivers, lakes and coastline.
Pembrokeshire Coast(Welsh: Arfordir Penfro) xxxxxx Mountains.
Brecon Beacons(Welsh: Bannau Brycheiniog) xxxxxx Mountains.

Scotland



There are two national parks of Scotland.
National Park name Climate/location. What kind of place.
Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Montane zone.20 Munros (mountains above 3000ft), the highest is Ben More at 1174m, 20 Corbetts (mountains between 2500ft and 3000ft), glens, lochs and lochans. Rivers and large burns. Forest.
Ben Lomond, The Cobbler (Ben Arthur), Ben Cruachan, and Aonach Eagach.
There's a hiking route, The West Highland Way, which goes through the park to Ben Nevis, the highest mountain.
Cairngorms National Park Montane zone. Mountainous areas, moorlands, forests, rivers, lochs and glens. It is home to 25% of Britain’s threatened species. 4 of Scotland's 5 highest mountains lies within the park.
(The UK gov't calls it "arctic"...)
Scottish Crossbill, (endemic) Golden Eagle, Osprey, Dotterell, Capercaillie, and Crested Tit, pine martens, red squirrels, badgers, wildcats, water vole, and otters. Freshwater pearl mussel, salmon, trout, and rare lampreys.
Cairn Gorm, Ben Macdui and Lochnagar.

England



National parks in England and Wales are quite different from those in many other countries. In England and Wales, designation as a national park can include substantial settlements and land uses which are often integral parts of the landscape, and land within a national park remains largely in private ownership. There are 9 national parks in England.


National Park name Climate/location. What kind of place.
Peak District xxxxxPredominately gritstone climbing in the northern 'Dark Peak' and limestone climbing in the southern 'White Peak'. A wide area of rolling hills and escarpments, such as Stanage Edge, with Kinder Scout the highest point at 636m. Principle activities are climbing, caving and hiking.
Lake District xxxx England's highest land area of mountains and lakes.
Dartmoor xxxx Moor and horses.
North York Moors xxxxx Moor.
Yorkshire Dales Sub-Arctic Mountains and lakes.
Exmoor xxxx Moor and horses.
Northumberland xxxx Moor.
The Broads xxxx Moor.
New Forest xxxx Moor and horses.


The South Downs is in the process of being designated as a national park.

Northern Ireland


None.
An effort was being made in 2002 to establish the first park for the Mountains of Mourne.

Luxembourg

Belgium

Grenspark De Zoom - Kalmthoutse Heide North Brabant, Antwerp (Belgium)

Netherlands

Hoge VeluweTypical landscape, Hoge Veluwe National Park, Netherlands


National parks in the Netherlands were defined in the 1960s as areas of at least 10 km², consisting of natural terrains, water and/or forests, with a special landscape and flora and fauna, although the first (private) national park was founded in 1909 (Hoge Veluwe) - after the Swedish example. Since the late eighties there has been a large increase in the number of national parks; 80% were founded in the last 20 years. Hoge Veluwe still is the only national park for which you need to pay an entrance fee; reminiscent of it's private past and present. Hoge Veluwe also contains the Kroller-Muller museum, which has a large number of Van Gogh paintings.


National Park name Climate/location. What kind of place.
Nationaal Park Lauwersmeer Maritime (Coastal) Dammed estuary
Nationaal Park Schiermonnikoog Maritime (Island) Island Ecosystem
Nationaal Park De Alde Feanen Maritime Extensive peat bogs
Nationaal Park Drents-Friese Wold Semi-Continental Forested inland dunes, moorland
Nationaal Park Dwingelderveld Semi-Continental Extensive heather
Nationaal beek- en esdorpenlandschap Drentsche Aa Semi-Continental Ancient cultural landscape
Nationaal Park De Weerribben Maritime Marshland, Peat bogs
Nationaal Park Sallandse Heuvelrug Semi-Continental Ice age Glacial features, woods, heather
Nationaal Park Veluwezoom Semi-Continental Ice age Glacial features, woods, heather
Nationaal Park De Hoge Veluwe Semi-Continental Ice age Glacial features, woods, heather, inland dunes
Nationaal Park Utrechtse Heuvelrug Semi-Continental Ice age Terminal Moraine and Woods
Nationaal Park Duinen van Texel Maritime (Coastal) Coastal Dunes and Tidal Flats
Nationaal Park Zuid-Kennemerland Maritime (Coastal) Coastal Dunes and Forest
Nationaal Park Oosterschelde Maritime (Saltwater Estuary) Saltwater Estuary
Nationaal Park De Biesbosch North Brabant Maritime Tidal Marshlands
Nationaal Park De Loonse en Drunense Duinen Maritime Inland Dunes and Forest
Nationaal Park De Groote Peel Semi-Continental Moorland
Nationaal Park De Maasduinen Semi-Continental Fluvial Sanddunes
Nationaal Park De Meinweg Semi-Continental Horst and Graben


National ParksLocation of National Parks in the Netherlands

Germany

National Park name Climate/location. What kind of place.
Schleswig-Holstein Wadden Sea National Park xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hamburg Wadden Sea National Park Sea xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Lower Saxony Wadden Sea National Park xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jasmund National Park Sea xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Vorpommern Lagoon Area National Park Sea xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Müritz National Park Sea xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Lower Oder Valley National Park Sea xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Harz National Park xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Kellerwald-Edersee National Park (a part of Kellerwald) Sea xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hainich National Park xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Eifel National Park Sea xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Saxon Switzerland National Park xxxxxx Mountains.
Bavarian Forest National Park Sea Mountains
Berchtesgaden National Park xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.